Interior Bike Rack

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

MonkeyMike

Interior Bike Rack

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:15 pm

Anyone have any experience with the Nissan / Yakima interior bike rack? (Part No 999R1-KL000) They run about $165 at the various online "parts counters" ...

For what it actually is, i refuse to buy it for that price. I can buy universal fork mounts and wheel holders for ~$15 each, and build one that looks the same for probably under $100. But does anyone know if they work okay?

installation instructions, and a look at the parts, are here

EDIT: Okay, that one i listed is for the previous model pathfinder, but conceptually, i would think it would be the same for the current model pathfinder. There is also one for the current model Armada (part no 999R5-TA60K)

~mike

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:53 pm

A few of my hardcore biker friends made their own racks out of pvc for the back of their Toyota pickups. I entertained the thought of doing the same for my PF, but I usually have a lot of other stuff in the back, so I opted for the hitch mounted rack. I think you could easily build your own rack using parts found at any home store. In fact, I'm willing to bet that a number of the bike forums include posts from people who have done just that for their SUVs.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:36 am

Just use a receiver bike carrier... The inside one just puts to much dirt and stuff in the truck and in most cases you have to remove the saddle/seatpost to clear the headliner after removing the front wheel........ Triffid

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 am

Just use a receiver bike carrier... The inside one just puts to much dirt and stuff in the truck...
Its easier to clean dirt out of the back of my PF, than to clean my bikes after driving thru a rain storm with them on a receiver bike rack.

Now, I do have a receiver bike rack. The one I have holds up to five bikes plus a pop up canopy. I only use it when a group of us are going to races together.

When it is just me, I can fit a couple of bikes in the back easily with just a front wheel off. Being bmx bikes, the seat removal isnt necessary...
Although I have put my mountain bike in there without removing the seat.

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:41 pm

Mike,

Sorry to join the party late - I use a Rhode Gear Truck Shuttle in my R51 Pathy. It works great, but I don't think it is made anymore. I bought it cheap about 5 years ago w/ 4 mounts for less than similar mounts alone would have cost elsewhere.

Pic:

Basically extruded aluminum w/ 2-4 fork mounts that bolt in at any of several angles. The whole thing lays flat toward the back of the truck, back wheel goes in first. With portions of the 2nd row folded flat, 1 or 2 bikes fit great, 3 should work, 4 would be pretty tough. One caveat - I'm 5'8" and have slightly short legs for my height. My bikes fit w/ a little room to spare. Bikes for taller friends need to have the seatpost removed or lowered to clear the roof.

You could basically replicate the thing with a single piece of dimensional lumber, $10-20 fork mounts, and some type of non-skid stuff on the bottom.

PM me if you need more information.

-Jamie

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”