trammeling issue 2012

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

jsam

trammeling issue 2012

Postby jsam » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:52 pm

I posted this problem back in January and thought the problem had been resolved but my 2012 still drifts or wanders all over the driving lane.
Details: 2012 model S all stock with 4000 miles. Problem has been there since new. The dealer so far has done 4 alignments on 2 different alignment racks. Caster and camber bolts installed and settings have been changed as well as the toe settings. The dealer called Hunter Engineering for help and they said probably tires. The dealer contacted Nissan tech service and they authorized 4 new tires of a different brand. For the first few days the problem seemed better with the new tires but soon started the drift again. I want to keep my PF because I like everything about it except the way it drives. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:26 pm

I'd look into the lemon law.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Since they replaced the tires and performed the alignment with little affect on the problem, the only thing else I could think of would be checking the steering rack & pinion tension. This used to be an occasional issue on the older, R50 Pathfinders. A steering tension gauge is basically a spring scale. The outer tie rods ends are disconnected from the steering knuckles. The end of the tension gauge has a hook that allows you to connect to one of the outer tie rod ends. You pull slowly on the gauge until the rack starts to move within the rack pinion housing and a measurement is taken from the gauge. Basically, you are measuring how much effort it takes to move the steering. The same is done to the other side and the measurements are compared to factory specs. If the tension is excessive, there is an adjustment on the rack and pinion to increase or decrease the tension. The dealer should have the tool for the adjustment locknut.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:06 pm

I agree with the above.

Bummer you're having such problems. I can tell you that while I curse my '08 daily, the one thing it does do well is drive straight and true on the highway. And I'm super picky about alignment.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

I have a 2008 with 70k+ and there are days when I swear I am going to get another alignment and start looking at new tires again (even though the ones on it are new) and then it will go for weeks and drive strait as an arrow with no drifting and no vibrations. True story.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”