TPMS -- Which way to go

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 am

You need an activation tool to "wake up" the sensors. If you don't have the tool, you'll need to take it to someplace that does.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:46 am

It's been really cold here this winter (many days under -25C), and this tends to bring out the worst when it comes to tire pressure. Fortunately, I bought my tires from Costco, where they offer free rotation, balance and flat repairs for the life of the tires. All 4 rims were leaking, as well as the valve stems. I'm on year 3 of these tires, and they've been exposed to lots of salts and grime.

Unfortunately, one of the TPMS sensors was a little worn out (original equipment from new) and couldn't be salvaged. They replaced it for $45 plus $15 Labour. I thought this was pretty good, especially considering we usually get hosed on stuff like this up here in Canada.

And now I have good as new non leaking tires, with a fully functioning TPMS system. This system has saved my button several times, allowing me to pull over before the tire gets shredded from being running at too low of a pressure. Yep, I'm a beleiver.... :)

T

wfburton159

Postby wfburton159 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 pm

The batteries in mine are starting to go. Reset and the light comes on within a months time. Has anyone used the 98 dollar for four sensors on eBay?

Update on this. I ended up buying the Nissan OEM TPMS sensors from ebay for $98.50 shipped to my mailbox. They came from the US and arrived in short time. Brought them to my local tire shop the next day and I had a perfecly functioning TPMS system again in one hours time and $40 dollars later.

So for $138.50 I have all new sensors so it should be good for another seven years. The dealership wanted more than that just to replace one and over $500 to replace all four.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:18 pm

So my TPMS light has been on for 3 months now. I know the sensor is bad, as there is no reading for one of the tires. The pressure is fine on all four. Has anyone looked into this...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinf ... cc=1438235

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 pm

I looked at it. I noticed that statement, "once programmed, sensors are compatible with Factory Re-learn procedures and all aftermarket TPMS tools." This sounds like you still need to appropriate tools to initialize the sensors to the TPMS control unit. I know on the R51s, there is a manual method to do this by adjusting the tire pressures with a 3 psi difference going clockwise from the driver's front wheel (36, 33, 30 and 27 psi), shorting two wires under the driver's side of the dash and driving the vehicle. I also noticed that some TPMS sensors (VDO was one brand) being sold ready to program, which I would assume means they don't have to be "woken up." I wonder if those could just be installed and initialized using the manual method? I'll need to study up on this! :?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 am

Thanks for the heads up. I ready to buy my TPMS and get rid of the stupid light on the dash.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Me too. I already replaced one with a Dorman sensor. I have another one with a weak battery; I've just going to replace the other three and be done with it for another 6 or 7 years.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:17 am

My OEM's do not fit my aftermarket wheels, so I've been searching for some that actually might with no luck.

Anyone have any info on different TMPS? Most places ask the year and Make, and that's not as important as actual fitment.

I try and explain, but usually get the deer in the headlights response.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:53 pm

I was just quoted by a local tire shop to have my bad sensor replaced for $70 including labor.

Good deal?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 am

Took it to the local tire shop and they said it just needed to be reprogramed. No money out of pocket. Good thing I didn't order anything.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Maybe this isn't the correct thread however my question is related to tire pressure monitoring.

I have a 2011 V8 with the Nav / info center. When I select the Info option for tire pressure I get readings of *.**PSI.

Anyone know what gives?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 am

Is your TPMS light on? The light should be on the left hand side of the instrument panel.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”