I accidentally drove with parking brake on and...

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

staynlean

I accidentally drove with parking brake on and...

Postby staynlean » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 am

Well, the wheels and brake parts were smoking a little and extremely hot. Drove about 2 miles with it on.

Story behind it is I was actually headed to do some landscaping work and had to get up REAL early (4am) I wsa hooked up to my friends 16" flat trailer to pick up some sod and it was parked in my driveway which is somewhat sloped so I had put the e-brake on when I parked it.

So I hop in half asleep at 4am and drive to gas station and realize that I had the e-brake on as I was coming to my senses near the gas station. (the vehicle was acting weird but i thought it was from the weight of the trailer.)

Anyway, I don't think anything is hurt and brakes are working fine, anybody more familiar with brakes chime in and let me know your opinion.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:03 am

would be a good way to warp your rear rotors... The only pad affected is the inside ones. I would say if you didn't catch on fire, then yes, you should be OK.
t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Have you tried using your e brake again to hold the vehicle? Does it still work? You might be ok. If not, then you might have damaged/warped the rotor and destroyed the e brake pads/shoes.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:05 pm

check the adjustment of your parking brake and adjust if necessary (per the service manual)
Last edited by eieio on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Yeah e-brake still works the same. It did heat the rotors and wheels up substantially, to the point where something was smoking a little on each wheel.

Like I said I only drove a short distance at a slow pace, I think I released it just before it would have caused some real damage.

Brakes work fine too and I think if I warped the rotors I might be feeling some vibrations at higher speeds but all is well. Hope I never do it again, scared me since they were so hot.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”