Does anyone have a good bug remover recommendation?

Let's go, Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars...Fight!

Moderator: volvite

PC05

Does anyone have a good bug remover recommendation?

Postby PC05 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:45 am

I will be driving through an area that has extremely bad bugs that have taken off paint in my previous vehicles if left on for more than a day or two. What do you guys use to get the bugs off without damaging the paint and grill on the front of the pathy?

Thanks

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:00 am

Goo gone

marvmmarv

Postby marvmmarv » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 pm

I like to use Turtle Wax Tar & Bug Remover because it is wax-based. After it dissolves the bug, you can just buff the area and you don't have to re-wax it.

Back in the olden days, before leaving on a highway trip, folks would put a heavy coat of wax on the front surfaces. That made it easier to get the bugs off later. The modern synthetic products don't seem to work well for that. You might buy some plain old fashioned car wax and try it.

schmo9

Postby schmo9 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:06 am

Just out of interest, what kinda bugs take off your paintwork? :o

Simon

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:39 am

schmo9 wrote:Just out of interest, what kinda bugs take off your paintwork? :o

Simon
all the bugs you hit while driving on the road. there is some sort of acid type crap in their guts that strips the paint off vehicles.

PC05

Postby PC05 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:42 pm

These in question are called Love bugs, and they are nasty black things that fly around while they are in the act of intercourse, hence the name, and you can hear them when they hit if you drive through a big swarm of them. As soon as you get where you are going you need to find a car wash and wash them off quick.

Thanks for the replies.

Guess I can just wax the crap out of the bumper, front of the hood and the mirrors and hope for the best. Really dont want to spend hours when I get there cleaning the PF.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:30 pm

spray the areas to be protected with regular pam cooking spray oil, this stuff sticks and will keep bugs from adhering too.

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:14 am

using PAM is a good idea, I spray it in the wheel wells of the atv to keep mud from gunking up and you can't tell its on there. I use the turle wax aerosol can bug and tar remover. Just spray it on, let it soak, then do some work with a non abrasive sponge and all the guts are gone.

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:40 pm

while your washing the car and you get it all soapy go over teh soap covered area with a dryer sheet, it wont remove your wax and it removes all those bugs. ive been doing this for years. i learned it when my brother worked at a car detailing shop in California.

pathfinder05

Postby pathfinder05 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:04 pm

try the cleaning pad made by Mr. Clean

CRK

Postby CRK » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:34 pm

cruzstyle wrote:while your washing the car and you get it all soapy go over teh soap covered area with a dryer sheet, it wont remove your wax and it removes all those bugs. ive been doing this for years. i learned it when my brother worked at a car detailing shop in California.
I got to try this :wink:

cruzstyle

Postby cruzstyle » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:25 pm

give it a go. i wash teh whole car with one pretty much. soap and water first they go over it again with the sheet whiles all soapy, einse, dry, wax....shine

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 am

cruzstyle wrote:while your washing the car and you get it all soapy go over teh soap covered area with a dryer sheet, it wont remove your wax and it removes all those bugs. ive been doing this for years. i learned it when my brother worked at a car detailing shop in California.
I live in SW Louisiana and the love bugs are BAD here twice a year. I have used every method imaginable to keeps my cars nice though the two months of bug guts hell. The method with the dryer sheet works well. Just make sure you have a good wax job going into the love bug months. The spring flight occurs during late April and May, the summer during late August and September. Flights extend over periods of four to five weeks. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:41 am

Kerosene and then some of that wax as you dry spray. then when bug season is over just give it a good waxing.

Pathmyway

Postby Pathmyway » Fri May 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Dryer sheets are the best, zero effort and lovebugs are gone. Don't rub to hard though

Return to “Detailing Details”