Rear brake replacement

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

cgray

Rear brake replacement

Postby cgray » Thu May 02, 2013 11:17 pm

I am going to be replacing the rear brakes soon on my '06. Anybody have any tricks or tips from past experiences?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Fri May 03, 2013 5:21 am

I assuming you're just replacing the pads? It's a straighforward job. It's a good idea to check the caliper sliding pins and make sure they are well greased and slide easily. I had some very uneven brake pad wear because of this.

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm

My plan is to do pads and rotors. I know the parking brake is in the mix doing both, so I am looking to see if there are any special requirements for them.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Rear brakes don't work nearly as hard as the front brakes. If you're not getting a pulsation out of the rear brakes, I would just scuff up the rotor surface with some sandpaper and install a good set of rear pads, like Akebono ACT Ceramics or Raybestos Professional Series Ceramics. If you do need to change the rotors, don't get cheap ones. Spend a little more and get a name brand like Wagner or Raybestos. As bar as the parking break, unless there is a big ridge of rust, they will likely just slide of after a few whacks on the hub with a hammer.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”