Front Camber bolts

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Oly 22

Front Camber bolts

Postby Oly 22 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:36 pm

It looks like I might be able to order the 4x4 parts deluxe Bilstein supsension lift sooner than later. What I am unsure of is whether I need to order a set of front camber bolts for my 2011 as suggested by the guys at 4x4 parts. I crawled underneath and do not see a set of camber bolts like there are in the rear.

Does anyone know if the 2011 has front camber bolts? Would I need to order these as well?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:04 pm

i still don't think you'll need the front camber bolts. i'm 99% sure that the front end of any vehicle will always have these since it's an independent suspension.

and i didn't get them when i put mine in, and the alignment shop didn't say anything about it not having them.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:00 pm

in GCC, till 2011 they came without them, i had them installed on mine.

i dont know bout 2012s

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks Mar1,

I double checked and my 2011 does not have the front camber bolts either. I will order a set, when I order the lift kit.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 am

looking at my previous pics, i think i am missing them. for the rear it's the gold-ish bolt that should have a disc that looks like this

yet i think it's the gold-ish bolt just to the right of the lower blue arrow, but it's a regular bolt, no disc.

unless i'm looking in the wrong spot?

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 am

I have the rancho quicklift in the front of my '06 and didnt need to install the camber bolts. I have them and will be getting them installed next time I get it aligned because they ran out of room for adjusting them last time.

The bottom blue arrow barely touches the camber bolt. Your description is to the correct bolt that is not offset like the first pic for the rear.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Well I've had a shimmy in my steering for a bit. Now that I'm back from my trip overseas I took the pathfinder into have the tires rebalanced and rotated as well as an alignment. Camber and caster were ok but toe was way off. They were unable to align it properly with out the caster kit so since I was already here I'm having then install the kits. Hopefully this will help align the pathfinder and clear up my steering wheel shimmy.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm

volvite wrote:Well I've had a shimmy in my steering for a bit. Now that I'm back from my trip overseas I took the pathfinder into have the tires rebalanced and rotated as well as an alignment. Camber and caster were ok but toe was way off. They were unable to align it properly with out the caster kit so since I was already here I'm having then install the kits. Hopefully this will help align the pathfinder and clear up my steering wheel shimmy.
so by castor kit you mean caster/camber kit? basically the 'upgraded' bolts that have the offset 'washer' to be able to adjust the fronts more? like the ones prg sells?

i had talked to the alignment guy last time i had it done, and he said that even though the 'washer' wasn't offset in the front, that it was still adjustable. just wondering how much more adjustment you get out of having those other bolts.

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu May 02, 2013 11:04 pm

I am not sure bow much more they do, but the first time I had an alignment done after my lift they didn't need to install the camber bolts to get the alignment within specs. After I had new bigger tires installed they could not get things back into tolorance and I had the cam bolts installed then.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:16 am

I ordered the front camber bolts, when I ordered my lift kit from 4x4 Parts. I did need them to get the front aligned to spec. The rear toe is ever so slightly out, with not more adjustment.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun May 05, 2013 9:09 pm

doctahjones wrote:
volvite wrote:Well I've had a shimmy in my steering for a bit. Now that I'm back from my trip overseas I took the pathfinder into have the tires rebalanced and rotated as well as an alignment. Camber and caster were ok but toe was way off. They were unable to align it properly with out the caster kit so since I was already here I'm having then install the kits. Hopefully this will help align the pathfinder and clear up my steering wheel shimmy.
so by castor kit you mean caster/camber kit? basically the 'upgraded' bolts that have the offset 'washer' to be able to adjust the fronts more? like the ones prg sells?

i had talked to the alignment guy last time i had it done, and he said that even though the 'washer' wasn't offset in the front, that it was still adjustable. just wondering how much more adjustment you get out of having those other bolts.
Doc,

They took me out to the shop and showed me the alignment machine. The Toe was way off. They couldn't get any adjustment. So they found some camber kits locally and installed them for me since it was already there and then it aligned great. No more steering wheel shimmy or vibration.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:54 am

my 08 didnt have the front camber bolts. the shop that was doing the aligment told me that they cant even get the old bolt off and that i will need new lower a arms. apparently my ranch lift in the front is to stiff to get the camber within spec. the rear was no issue they said. has anybody else had the issue where the front bolts are seized to a arm.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri May 10, 2013 7:10 am

My rear bolts are seized and I was told the same thing about my rear lower arms.

They were able to do the fronts.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:53 am

i might try using a ton of penetrating oil on them to break them lose. good thing is new lower arms arent that expensive.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”