Denver Front Range Trails?

Regional discussions and Get Together organization for the Rocky Mountain area.

Moderator: volvite

cgray

Denver Front Range Trails?

Postby cgray » Sun May 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Anyone know of good trails in the Denver front range area that wouldn't be to crazy for a DD? The only trails I have explored so far are on my mt bike and it is about time to climb a mountain in the Pathfinder now!

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun May 12, 2013 8:20 pm

and/or anyone else in the denver-ish area interested in getting together for this?

i know i'll need to get my OHV sticker before going out, so make sure you have yours as well.

maybe if we get a few we can repeat this trip that icedteasley made? it's just south of brek.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=7624

cgray

Postby cgray » Sun May 12, 2013 8:27 pm

I would be in for that. I still need to get CO plates as well. Do I need a CO plates to get the ORV sticker?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun May 12, 2013 8:46 pm

last i read you can get an 'out of state ohv sticker', but i'm not sure what the requirements are.

and i still need to get plates too, that's next on my list after vegas this weekend. i'm estimating $4-500 for registration/plates

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 am

doctahjones wrote: i know i'll need to get my OHV sticker before going out, so make sure you have yours as well.
Why in the world do you need an OHV sticker for a licensed & registered car???

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon May 13, 2013 9:11 am

NVSteve wrote:
doctahjones wrote: i know i'll need to get my OHV sticker before going out, so make sure you have yours as well.
Why in the world do you need an OHV sticker for a licensed & registered car???
for state owned land/parks, you have to have your Off Highway Vehicle permit. Your car registration/license only permits you to drive on public roads and highways, not state owned unimproved land. same went for texas.

now if you went to a trails on privately owned land you don't need that, you just need permission from the land owner.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Freaking ridiculous. I've spent the last hour or so trying to find concrete info on this, from 4x4 forums to government sites. This is the only one that listed/mentioned a "licensed & registered" vehicle:

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/gfo/recr ... facts.html

Colorado State Law Regarding OHV Registration and Use

The use of OHVs on public lands is subject to Colorado law.

Licensed, street-legal vehicles and motorcycles - No additional registration is required.

Unlicensed OHVs (such as off road motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, dune buggies etc):

Colorado resident
the OHV must be registered with Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation.
Out-of-State resident
You must register the vehicle with the Colorado Department of Parks and Outdoor Recreation whether the OHV is registered in your state of residence or not. This is a recent change that was implemented early in 2008.

Do you happen to have any direct links to somewhere that might mention this? I couldn't find anything on the state parks sites. I did find some info on http://www.staythetrail.org/faq/ and, comically, they link to the state parks site which only mentions unlicensed/unregistered OHVs.

All motor vehicles (licensed or not) operated on routes designated open to off-highway vehicles are required to obtain either an annual OHV Registration or Non-Resident Permit. Information on how to purchase and what the OHV Registration program funds is available at http://parks.state.co.us/OHVsandSnowmobiles/OHVProgram/

We do recommend the purchase of a "registration" versus permit so that yearly reminder renewal cards will be sent to your home address.

My recreational vehicle (dirt bike, ATV, UTV, or 4x4) is licensed and street legal in my home state. Do I need an OHV permit to ride on Forest Service and BLM roads and trails in Colorado?

Yes. All motor vehicles used on routes designated open to OHVs, including those vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates must still purchase an annual OHV Registration or Non-Resident Permit through Colorado State Parks. The money collected helps to fund the stewardship that makes those riding opportunities available including trail maintenance, education, and other projects.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm

The 4 of us should meet up and go for a trip and possibly see if Iced will join us.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 pm

i have a few trips come up here and there, but i'm down almost any time, even during the week. except this weekend, we're going to vegas :)

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue May 14, 2013 8:20 am

I'd love to, but I'm pretty much out of the picture for the rest of 2013. I'll be gone the month of June, which will sap my remaining vacation time, minus about 3 days to use & I'm still undecided how I'll use that. Volvite, I'll let you know if I hit up something local (within the state). If I end up driving out to Monument to visit my sister, I won't be doing any offroading.

You guys should definitely meet up and do something though. We need more of that on here, especially now that we have so many members.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Exactly.

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon May 20, 2013 8:09 pm

I would be in for a weekend trip. I just installed some tow hooks on the front where I had to remove the factory one to mount the bull bar, so I am not as worried about the trails anymore. Kinda like the umbrella theory: If I have tow hooks, then hopefully I wont ever need them.

Doc: I will probably be going out to explore Lefthand Canyon this coming weekend. I didn't end up going yesterday.

Volvite: I think you are in the Denver Area as well, have you ever tried out that trail? or know of any other trails in the front range?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

i'd probably be down for that this weekend. it's a 3 day weekend too.

which day were you thinking?

i don't have a winch but i do have a tow rope. was trying to figure out how i could maybe get one for my rear receiver hitch and get a cradle for it, and then figure out how to get it powered (jumper cables? :) )

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 21, 2013 8:54 pm

I'm not in Denver. I'm in Utah, just north of Salt Lake City.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 22, 2013 8:35 pm

don't worry. i'm sure we can plan something 1/2 way between denver and SLC where both you Volvite and NVSteve, and myself and cgray can all meet up.

i mean it's like ~6hrs to grand junction (according to google maps) from denver, and like 5.5hrs from SLC. maybe we can get a weekend pass from our ladies and do a sat-sun trip? get a trail or two in before heading back home? i work from home so i could even do mid- week stuff.

sucks that we're missing gone-moab this week :cry: maybe we could all plan on being down there next year :D

Return to “Rocky Mountain Region”