Air Con smells like Broccoli

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

yogi

Air Con smells like Broccoli

Postby yogi » Fri May 17, 2013 10:31 pm

So, the Pathy is about 3 months old, we've been running the air con on Auto over the past three months of autumn (we are down here in Oz) and are now starting to have the heater kick in. We have just noticed an odd smell similar to that of cabbage, cauliflower or broccoli coming from the vents as we take off from stopped. Has anyone come across this problem, and if so, were you able to fix it or have a solution??
I'm calling the service vcentre on Monday to book it in to get them to have a look, but I thought I ,might ask Forum members, just in case it is an easy DIY solution.

Cheers,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 18, 2013 12:05 am

Might want to pull out the cabin air filters and check them.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sat May 18, 2013 12:09 am

can't say I am familiar Op

yogi

Postby yogi » Sat May 18, 2013 12:31 am

smj999smj wrote:Might want to pull out the cabin air filters and check them.
I did that smj and nothing amiss there. Its got me stumped. I've read that going through a car wash with the air con on and drawing air from the outside can allow water to pool in the windscreen vents, but I'd have thought that rain would also do the same and thus the vent,s would have some form of drain. Anyway, Monday morning will see if the Nissan agent has any ideas :)
Thanks for the reply.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat May 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Check for nests built between the hood and the windshield where the wiper arm linkage would be located. I haven't had the issue with my Pathfinder yet, but I did have it with my old Jeep.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon May 20, 2013 8:35 am

Might be mold you're smelling. Open all your doors/windows/hatch. Turn the fans on mid blast, then spray Lysol through the inlet vents by the hood.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:Might be mold you're smelling. Open all your doors/windows/hatch. Turn the fans on mid blast, then spray Lysol through the inlet vents by the hood.
Ah yes, years and years ago (about 15) I had to do exactly this to an old Wrangler...

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:Might be mold you're smelling. Open all your doors/windows/hatch. Turn the fans on mid blast, then spray Lysol through the inlet vents by the hood.
Ah yes, years and years ago (about 15) I had to do exactly this to an old Wrangler...

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 am

Get a bottle of professional auto air conditioner deodorizer from an auto parts store. I just used it on my wife's Jetta and it worked really well. It kills bacteria, deodorizes and cleans the whole duct system.

The process takes about 20 minutes. You roll down the windows, remove the cabin air filter, put the AC on high and spray the bottle into the air intakes. Your car will smell like cleaner for a few days but should be good as new after.

I bought it from Salvo Auto Parts because Advance Auto didn't have it. It's like $12 or something.

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Thu May 23, 2013 6:34 am

DanJetta wrote:Get a bottle of professional auto air conditioner deodorizer from an auto parts store. I just used it on my wife's Jetta and it worked really well. It kills bacteria, deodorizes and cleans the whole duct system.

The process takes about 20 minutes. You roll down the windows, remove the cabin air filter, put the AC on high and spray the bottle into the air intakes. Your car will smell like cleaner for a few days but should be good as new after.

I bought it from Salvo Auto Parts because Advance Auto didn't have it. It's like $12 or something.
Nice tip, didn't know there was such a cleaner. Will get some soon for my 2001 car, the PF doesn't need anything like that yet.

Return to “R51 General Chat”