Radio upgraged to an alpine

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Maguyver30

Radio upgraged to an alpine

Postby Maguyver30 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Hey guys, I have a 2011 S and upgraded the radio to an alpine INA-W900 and now my stock speakers sound like they can't handle the extra watts. I'm thinking if I upgraded to the bose stock speakers would the system soung clearer or should I just go buy some after market speakers

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:06 am

You'll want to get aftermarket speakers. The Bose system uses 1-ohm impedance speakers and amps. Most other systems use 4-ohm impedance speakers. Try Crutchfield.com.

Maguyver30

Postby Maguyver30 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:47 am

smj999smj wrote:You'll want to get aftermarket speakers. The Bose system uses 1-ohm impedance speakers and amps. Most other systems use 4-ohm impedance speakers. Try Crutchfield.com.

Cool man did not know that. I'm I going to need any type of adaptor plates?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Just a thought, but are you sure that's whats going on? When you say it sounds like they can't handle it, what do they sound like? Are they distorted, clipping, or just sound tinny or wrong?

The stock speakers should be more than adequate to handle the power outage of nearly any head unit out there. It's only when you start installing a separate amplifier that you can blow them. But they need some tuning with the equalizer to make them sound right.

FWIW I've had both Alpine and Pioneer head units in my Pathfinder. Both of them sounded craptacular before I tuned them, particularly the Pioneer. Really terrific after that and the speakers aren't near over driven.

I'd imagine you might have the same "sound" mine did untuned since the speakers are the same: really weak upper midrange resulting in really quiet voices or a tinny sound. Bumping up the upper mids alone improved the sound quite a bit.

Maguyver30

Postby Maguyver30 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:30 pm

I've tried tuning the mids and highs but what I find myself doing is tuning them down, when I get to about half way up on the volume they sound like they are about to crack lol like to loud that's why I'm thinking they can't handle the watts. Do you know what those speakers are rated at watt wise?

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:10 am

Maguyver30 wrote:I've tried tuning the mids and highs but what I find myself doing is tuning them down, when I get to about half way up on the volume they sound like they are about to crack lol like to loud that's why I'm thinking they can't handle the watts. Do you know what those speakers are rated at watt wise?
I'm not sure what the speakers are rated at, but i can say that I added a Kenwood 9980HD to my truck a couple of years ago and the speakers do fine. I will say that I had to buy several adapters and such as part of the install, but I have not had a reason to want to upgrade them to aftermarket. My guess is that you may have to integrate some of these adapters to get it sound right. I had a company do mine... cost me a pretty penny but I couldn't be happier.

Maguyver30

Postby Maguyver30 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Yea I'm guessing some bass blockers would help take some of the distortion away when I put it up....

Maguyver30

Postby Maguyver30 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Yea I'm guessing some bass blockers would help take some of the distortion away when I put it up....

Return to “R51 Electrical”