Replacing the steering rack boot

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

deermjd

Replacing the steering rack boot

Postby deermjd » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:21 am

I just noticed that my steering rack boot on the driver side is leaking. Has anyone replaced this yet? I was looking at the service manual and it seems like a simple job. The only problem is that an alignment will need to be done afterward. Not a big deal since I have a lifetime alignment with Firestone. Anything I should know before I do this repair?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 pm

I believe the leak I have is grease from the steering shaft. It's possible that it could be power steering fluid but the level hasn't changed and what I'm seeing has a thicker consistency. So I went ahead and bought a new steering boot. I'll give an update whenever I get a chance to install it.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:02 am

I'm a bit of a procrastinator so after a year I finally replaced the steering boot on my Pathy. The install was simple other than having to get the toe-in checked after removing the tie rod end to replace the boot. The factory service manual did not have specific instructions for this task so I have put up a few photos to assist anyone else who may tackle this job in the future.

Before:

During:

After:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 am

It looks like you have a slight leak at the R&P end seal. It's not enough, IMO, to warrant a R&P replacement, but may be something you'll need to address in the not so far off future.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks for the observation. That was my suspicion. I'm not sure I did much good by just replacing the boot but at least I was able to inspect the steering rack.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”