Bosch:QuietCast Vs. Reactive One:High-Perf/Raybestos R-300?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

El_Javi_86

Bosch:QuietCast Vs. Reactive One:High-Perf/Raybestos R-300?

Postby El_Javi_86 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Hey Forum,
New guy here. Learning a lot from the forum. I have a 2005 2WD Pathfinder and need to replace front rotors and pads. I've read lot here about the classic rotor/pad stuff, (pros/cons on ceramic, slits, perforations, etc.) but haven't found many opinions on these two rotors:

The Reactive One:High-Perf/Raybestos R-300 from NAPA. They have curved grooves/slits.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0363339163
Or the Bosch QuietCast from O'Reilly.They are smooth.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0009
Equal price for both. Any opinions? Pros/Cons over each other? Are these even a good choice? Which would be your preference? Which ever you pick, would you recommend Ceramic or metallic these?

For Pads, I'm thinking for Cermaic: Akebono or Durlast Gold Cmax. And for Metallic: Duralast Gold or ProStop Platinum for metallic. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:06 pm

The big issues with rotors seem to be "cheap" rotors made from cheap or low quality steel. They tend to warp in a short amount of time, especially when used hard. That doesn't mean you need to go with super-expensive rotors, just stick with reputable, brand names. Both of those you listed will probably due just fine. Wagners and Raybestos Professional Series rotors are two popular choices.
As far as pads, the original equipment pads are Hitachi ceramic and I would suggest you stick with ceramic. Akebono has been an OEM supplier to Nissan of brakes for decades. I've used the Akebono ACT Ceramics (purchased from Rockato.com) and have been very happy with them. No noise, performance at least as good as the OEM pads and it comes with all new hardware and shims at a fraction of the cost of genuine Nissan pads (which don't come with hardware or shims). I'd recommend them.

El_Javi_86

Postby El_Javi_86 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info. My only concern for the ceramic is the mixed reviews about them. You know, the classic stopping power, cracking issues, etc. I guess that all comes with the territory of being the newest technology out there. But since you mention that Aklebono are OEM, then I will definitely go for them (plus Japanese on Japanese is cool)

Now I just have to make up my mind on the Bosch or Reactive One rotors... I just cant decide, they both look good...more research I guess...haha

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Since R51's are made in the US, I'm not sure how "Japanese" it is other than the name!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 am

I had the duralast gold Cmax pads on my 99 Grand. My brother owns the jeep now, but the pads are still in great shape and i didn't have any cracking problems with them.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Ceramic isn't "new" technology anymore. They started being used in some production cars in the mid-80's. I've never had any issues with them, other than the cost!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:29 am

Any update on the rotors you went with? I'm doing front brakes here soon and I know I need rotors.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”