Bilstein 5100 Lift Question

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

richardekirby

Bilstein 5100 Lift Question

Postby richardekirby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 am

I finally got around to lifting the Pathy. I installed Bilstein 5100 height adjustable shocks on the front and spacers in the rear. I also put camber adjust bolts in the front. I've taken it to a couple alignment shops and they told me the camber is set all the way out and they can't do nothing with it. The tires are leaning out at the top. I set the shocks up for max lift because it seemed like nobody on here had problems with alignment. Does anybody have any suggestions or should I lower it down some to correct the alignment?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 am

not sure what to tell you. i put the 5100's on mine as well, but only set them to 1.5in. i didn't install the front camber bolts (because the alignment tech said they were already there), but the tech said he was able to get it in spec, but that i didn't have much adj room left. i measure my tire depth like a hawk (sine i spent $1600 on all 5, i don't want to waste them!) and the only wear problems i have is when i don't have enough psi (i have to keep it around 42-45psi to get even wear)

next thing would probably be to replace the upper control arm to get camber back in line, but that's relatively expensive for parts.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on either. I know others here run them with no issues, so I figured I would put it out there for ideas. I checked out the long uca's and you are right. They are pricey. I don't want to put that kind of money in it now as I plan on going solid axle in the future. The plan is to take it apart and make sure everything is correct and re-install it at a lower height and see what happens.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 am

richardekirby wrote: I plan on going solid axle in the future.
You mean on the R51? Or a new platform, already SA'd?

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 am

On the R51. It's paid off but still my wife's daily driver. If if holds up over the next couple years and doesn't become a money pit, I would like to turn it into an expeditionary rig when we get her something else. I think overall it has a good foundation to start with. A fully boxed frame with a decent power plant and the size is about perfect. I've seen what an R50 can do after an SAS and the R51 is a much better platform. The rear should be fairly easy and there are guys with Xterras and Frontiers that have already done an SAS so I can use their projects for guidance. I can't remember who it was, but there was a guy on here who started accumulating the parts to do it but I don't think he actually started it. I have not done anything to the Pathy in a couple years except general maintenance so I have not participated in this forum other than checking in periodically to see what's going on, so I can't be sure about that.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Frontiers and Xterras come with solid rear axles from the factory... Do you mean they upgraded to bigger axles? Or are you talking front?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:38 pm

richardekirby wrote:On the R51. It's paid off but still my wife's daily driver. If if holds up over the next couple years and doesn't become a money pit, I would like to turn it into an expeditionary rig when we get her something else. I think overall it has a good foundation to start with. A fully boxed frame with a decent power plant and the size is about perfect. I've seen what an R50 can do after an SAS and the R51 is a much better platform. The rear should be fairly easy and there are guys with Xterras and Frontiers that have already done an SAS so I can use their projects for guidance. I can't remember who it was, but there was a guy on here who started accumulating the parts to do it but I don't think he actually started it. I have not done anything to the Pathy in a couple years except general maintenance so I have not participated in this forum other than checking in periodically to see what's going on, so I can't be sure about that.

Yeah, this guy for the R51 rear:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Also, for the front on a Frontier, success:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f21/ ... ick-89024/

Even though Greg gave up on the front:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f62/ ... -up-43545/

[/img]

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Yes, I know they already come with a solid rear axle. I'm talking about the front. Converting an IRS to solid axle is a fairly easy process. Converting an IFS is not. That is why I would use their conversions as a guide, since we all have the same front ends.

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:20 pm

NmexMAX wrote:
richardekirby wrote:On the R51. It's paid off but still my wife's daily driver. If if holds up over the next couple years and doesn't become a money pit, I would like to turn it into an expeditionary rig when we get her something else. I think overall it has a good foundation to start with. A fully boxed frame with a decent power plant and the size is about perfect. I've seen what an R50 can do after an SAS and the R51 is a much better platform. The rear should be fairly easy and there are guys with Xterras and Frontiers that have already done an SAS so I can use their projects for guidance. I can't remember who it was, but there was a guy on here who started accumulating the parts to do it but I don't think he actually started it. I have not done anything to the Pathy in a couple years except general maintenance so I have not participated in this forum other than checking in periodically to see what's going on, so I can't be sure about that.

Yeah, this guy for the R51 rear:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Also, for the front on a Frontier, success:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f21/ ... ick-89024/

Even though Greg gave up on the front:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f62/ ... -up-43545/

[/img]
Yep, I forgot that was Gotgoo.

That was one of the Frontiers I was referring to. It is not an easy task, but can be done.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:24 pm

I've always thought of going with the Titan long travel kit for the front, but always sorta had this knack in my head that I need/should address the rear first.

But, sorry to digress the thread.

Do you have a printout of the alignment specs from the shop(s)?

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:45 pm

No I don't. They would not even put it on the rack. The guy looked at the way the tires were positioned, leaning out at the top, and saw the camber adjusters were already maxed out. He said there was nothing more he could adjust.

No problem with the other input. I like hearing other's ideas. I agree, I would for sure start with the rear and then tackle the front.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:49 pm

richardekirby wrote:No I don't. They would not even put it on the rack. The guy looked at the way the tires were positioned, leaning out at the top, and saw the camber adjusters were already maxed out. He said there was nothing more he could adjust.

No problem with the other input. I like hearing other's ideas. I agree, I would for sure start with the rear and then tackle the front.
How necessary are UCA's for proper alignment? The reason I bought mine was for longer travel since the OEM unit hits the spring perch.

I would think LCA's would be the culprit.

I have my coilvers pretty jacked up too, and I was able to get it aligned nicely. I have the coils a little high because of the 135# bumper I've ordered and 85# winch that will go in it, so basically hoping to see how it sits after the install.

You've tried 2 shops already, correct? Any measurements to the fender before and after install?

richardekirby

Postby richardekirby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Most of the long UCAs I seen advertise more adjustability for lifted vehicles. I have gone to two shops. One was a bunch of idiots and took it for a test drive then came back and said I had some major problems and need new end links, ball joints, ect. And that was after I told them I had lifted it and it was not safe to drive until the alignment was corrected. The other inspected it and saw the tires leaning out at the top and the camber adjusters set all the way out. I'm going to pull it apart to see if it is right and probably lower it some.
Last edited by richardekirby on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canderso

Postby canderso » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:49 pm

that is really odd. I used the same Bilstein 5100s on my 2011 Pathfinder. I installed them several weeks ago using the factory coil springs. My truck only has 20k miles on the clock, so I would assume the springs have a little more life in them. That is, unless you replaced yours with new ones when you swapped in the Bilsteins.

Anyway, I just took the truck over to Goodyear for an alignment. I handed them a set of camber bolts for the front and said, "you may need these to do the alignment." I got the truck back with the bolts and a printout of the specs before and after. There was NO reason to adjust the camber and the tech didn't need to use the camber bolts. The main adjustment was to the Toe in the front. The rear toe is a little out of spec and he said he couldn't get it into spec but caster and camber for all wheels was no problem.

This is with the Bilsteins set at the full 2" lift height.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”