TPMS

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

rangerjoe

TPMS

Postby rangerjoe » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Hello all...Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on TPMS for my 08 ???

Thanks...Rangerjoe

Sorry...TPMS sensors.....
Last edited by rangerjoe on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:31 pm

I don't understand; your 08 Pathy came with TPMS. Are you talking about a replacement TPMS sensor? In that case, try Rockauto.com. But you'll need to take it somewhere to get the sensor woke-up and registered to the vehicle.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:20 am

smj999smj wrote:I don't understand; your 08 Pathy came with TPMS. Are you talking about a replacement TPMS sensor? In that case, try Rockauto.com. But you'll need to take it somewhere to get the sensor woke-up and registered to the vehicle.
Are there different types of TPMS sensors? Reason I ask is because my OEM's do not fit my aftermarket wheels.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am

i had added a tpms module to my full size matching spare (since nissan doesn't include one on spares), and i want to say it was like $40-60 at discounttire when i had my tires put on. funny part is the 'new' sensor always reads a good 2-3psi more than the stock ones, but the stock ones seem to read 4-5psi lower than any air checker i've used.

there's also methods to re-register the "active" 4 tpms modules, as when i rotate with the spare myself i don't have the tool to do that.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 pm

NmexMAX wrote:
smj999smj wrote:I don't understand; your 08 Pathy came with TPMS. Are you talking about a replacement TPMS sensor? In that case, try Rockauto.com. But you'll need to take it somewhere to get the sensor woke-up and registered to the vehicle.
Are there different types of TPMS sensors? Reason I ask is because my OEM's do not fit my aftermarket wheels.
There are adjustable-angle sensors that might work for you. Try this site; they may be able to help you:

www.TPMSDIRECT.com

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:05 am

doctahjones wrote:there's also methods to re-register the "active" 4 tpms modules, as when i rotate with the spare myself i don't have the tool to do that.
You mind sharing those methods to re-register the sensors? Two of my sensors (sometimes three) keeps going on and off. Maybe a simple reset should suffice. I've only had the Pathy a year and a half with 16k miles. I've rotated the tires three times.

Do I need to buy one of these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Tool-71985-TP ... d6&vxp=mtr

or this? http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Moore-EL-504 ... uctDetails

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:41 pm

if they're going off and on, maybe the battery is going out or they're faulty? what year is your truck again?

anyway, if you want to reset them quickly and easily, buy the expensive tool.

if you have 20min to kill and/or are cheap and want to do it the free way, then follow this guide (it includes pictures):

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40601

it usually takes me a couple of times to get it to go into relearn mode, so if doesn't work the first (or second) time, keep trying.

also don't fret if you drive around for more than 5 miles and they still all show ** for pressure. just keep driving until they all come back, they all will eventually (if they're all working properly).

i'm also pasting the info part of that link (not the pics) just in case that other site goes down or something...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instructions:
PLEASE FOLLOW STEP 1. You don't have to be precise with the tire pressure measurement but please try your best.

Step 1: Set the tires to the following pressures, they have to be exact (or try your best to reach those psi, I was off a little but I was able to successfully reset the TPMS):

Tire position Tire pressure kPa (kg/cm2, psi)
Front LH 240 (2.4, 36)
Front RH 220 (2.2, 33)
Rear RH 200 (2.0, 30)
Rear LH 180 (1.8, 27)

I also bought this to help with the tire pressure measurement:

Walmart has something that looks similar but I can't vouch for the accuracy. The great thing is that it's cheaper and it costs around $7.

Step 2: Locate the TPMS interface plug. This is a white female plug that is attached to the OBD II wire loom under the dash right about where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. You may have to cut the tape that is holding the TPMS interface plug to the OBD II wire loom.I found mine 4 inches up and to the left inside the fuse box near your left knee.It is very short versus other vehicles I looked at.

Step 3: Attach a paper clip or wire into the interface plug. ( I attached it through the back since it was easier for me)

I used a skinny paperclip.

I attached it through the back Since it's a lot easier for the paper clip to make contact with the bare wire.

Step 4: Put your key in the ignition and turn it to the last click before the engine starts.Or push the push start button twice. This is the KOEO position (Key On, Engine Off).

Step 5: Tap the end of the paper clip on any exposed ground (metal) 6 times within 10 seconds of turning ignition on.Make sure it is a real ground and not just any metal you find.

I just tapped it to the metal that's holding the OBDII port. Even though it's not grounded as mentioned in the instruction it worked for me. So it should work for you too ;D.

Step 6: If you completed step 5 then the TPMS warning light will start to slowly flash and you have activated the TPMS relearn process. If it flashes and then stays solid after a minute then check your connections, turn the ignition off and start over at step 4.

Step 7: Once you confirm the lights do not stop flashing, step on the brake and start the car. Do not turn the car to OFF position. Start driving >25mph until the light goes out. It could take as long as ten minutes but for me I drove for 1 to 2 miles and it turned off.

Step 8: The light will quickly come back on due to the low tire pressures. Refill your tires to the correct pressure.

My lights turned off for a couple of minutes but when I continued driving it turned back on and stayed solid. This means your halfway done! Just put your tires back to the proper psi and then your good to go. I was surprised at how fast my solid lights turned off after refilling my tires with air and then driving down a couple houses. I've also experienced times where I needed to drive for 15 miles till the lights turned off.

Note:
If your TPMS lights are flashing, it doesn't mean your TPMS sensors are broken. It's just not syncing with the TPMS system. I was driving on the highway and all the sudden it started blinking. It stayed that way for a couple minutes and then turned solid. When I researched lots of people said this is a sign that a TPMS sensor has malfunctioned. But, I managed to connect the TPMS sensors using the TPMS reset procedure.
If your TPMS lights are blinking even after the TPMS reset procedure, most likely your not doing the procedure properly or one or more of your tpms sensors are broken.
The first time I did this reset procedure my lights stayed solid even after filling my tires to the proper psi. I did the TPMS reset procedure again and it worked.
Your spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor unless you installed one.
The TPMS runs on battery and has a rated 7 year life.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:35 am

8) Thank you very!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:48 pm

The Kent-Moore activation tool is only worthwhile if you also have a scantool to get into the Nissan TPMS system. This lets you initialize the sensors without changing the tire pressure. One enters the ID mode with the scantool, and the tool is placed by the driver's front TPMS sensor and activated, then the process continues to the right front, right rear and left rear. The tool can also be used to "wake up" new sensors that are sent in "sleep mode" to conserve battery life.

The other tool, which the pistol grip and the wire leads, is a fancy alternative to the paper-clip. The TPMS diagnostic connector, on the right driver's side of the lower dash, is shorted, putting it into manual registration mode. In this method, you have to adjust the tire pressures as noted and drive the vehicle as noted above. This tool will not wake up a sensor. That said, TPMS sensors are available on the aftermarket already ready in "wake" mode.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:37 am

Last Friday, I took my Pathy to my dealer for oil change & tire rotation ($20 :lol: )

I told them about my TPMS problem. The Sevice Tech scanned my tire sensors and reported that 3 out of 4 showed "past" codes. So the service manager said it was odd that 3 would go out at the same time, so he went ahead and re-programmed the sensors. Then told me to keep an eye on it and report back :roll:

So this weekend, I did a 600 miles road trip and guess what. The TPMS light was blinking for most of the trip :roll: :lol:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:03 pm

I guess you'll be "reporting back!" :roll:

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”