Slip light comes on

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

akley88

Slip light comes on

Postby akley88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:49 am

so i recently noticed that the slip light comes on when i take exit ramps to fast especially angled ramps. i did some research to see if what would cause this. it seems like from having the bigger heavier tires the car thinks that one of the tires is slipping while taking the ramp at a speed i probably shouldnt be. this seems to be common in the xterras as well when they start getting to bigger tires. i can feel the abs kicking in when the light comes on. does any one else have this problem. and is it something that i should be worrying about.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:57 am

never had that problem myself, but i'm only at 32in tires.

i can imagine it though, since the speed sensors read the axle, and thinks you have stock tire size. but since you're at what, 35's that's probably a good 20% difference in speed vs what the ecu thinks you're going and since there's no way to program different tire size into ecu then vdc is going to kick in. have you tried turning that off to see if it makes a difference?

i mean i wouldn't worry about it as in will something break, it will just be annoying since vdc thinks you're too fast for the g's you're pulling.

i assume cars still have inertia switches to read for accidents so it shuts off the fuel pump, and i assume it reads g's from there to calc if vdc needs to kick in for given 'speed'

akley88

Postby akley88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:53 am

im not at 35s yet, :twisted: im at 33.6.

since i can feel the abs is kicking in i figured everything was working as it should. i havent tried turning off the VDC yet, i will give that a try or i could try just driving a little slower.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:14 am

akley88 wrote: or i could try just driving a little slower.
Might as well just buy a Prius while you're at it :lol:

akley88

Postby akley88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:36 am

skinny2 wrote:
akley88 wrote: or i could try just driving a little slower.
Might as well just buy a Prius while you're at it :lol:
i hate them so much

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 am

akley88 wrote: i havent tried turning off the VDC yet, i will give that a try
This. I shut mine off whenever I know that the conditions are such that it will kick in. Nothing infuriates me more than something trying to take over my driving inputs. I've been in a couple of situations now that it has been downright dangerous when the damned VDC would kick in.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 am

I've noticed it coming down a 6% hill at about 40-45 MPH, and the roads dips a bit, so there's a bit of some bobboing but not the slip light, only can feel the ABS going to work on the pedal.

34.8" here.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 am

Well for comparison...bone stock here and mine rarely comes on while driving. I bang around on mining roads, very steep hills, gravel etc, and unless i'm spinning tires I don't recall it ever kicking in. On paved roads almost never, particularly the situation described in first message (decel into a turn). I'll guarantee it's from the oversized tires....they claim 3% is about the safe limit to keep from screwing with the sensors. You're in the 9% range.

One of the few places I can kick it in on paved roads is a very steep uphill intersection that flattens out quickly at the top. If i blow throw fast enough I will lift a tire and it cuts power on me. I just flip the VDC off and can then blast through :lol:

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 am

good to know its not just me

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”