TPMS!!!!!!!!

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

allisojh

TPMS!!!!!!!!

Postby allisojh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:42 pm

I have been at war with my TPMS sensors for 3 years now. I get the malfuntion indicator. Flashes for a while then goes solid.

I took it to the dealer 3 years ago and they reset it and it was finne for 20 minutes then it flashed and went solid.

I took it back, they scanned it and said the sensors were dying and not transmitting a strong signal and advised new sensors for about a hundred a pop. I told them I didn't think so.

I came on here and another poster told me he had a set of sensors he took off his vehicle the day he bought it as he bought new wheels, tires, etc... then broke down his original set and sold them separate. I got them from him and took them back to the dealer. They told me they looked good, but couldn;t be sure until they installed them and set them to see how they registered. Anyway, they registered and once again about 20 minutes down the road it flashed then went solid. So I said F this... I am waiting until I need new tires and decide then. I put some black tape over the light and forgot about it.

3 years later (last week) I buy a new set of rims, tires and sensors and had them installed. They set the TPMS sensors and I was finally good to go. 20 minutes down the road, it flashed and went solid. I almost drove the truck off the bridge I was on.

I know is stupid, I know its a stupid system the Feds made up because people are not smart enough to check their tires.... i know, I know...

but this this is killing me and I have no idea what to even say to the mechanics. I put the tape back on and had a drink.

I know the batteries in the sensors are good.
They are brand new OEM sensors.

Is there any way its the receiver for the sensors if it even has one? I don'w know how the TPMS system on the vehicle actually works other than I know the sensors transmit tire pressure to something.

Thanks for any ideas.

I wasted a bunch of money and more time than it was worth already. it just kills me that I can not figure this thing out and every time I had it to the dealer they said it was a sensor that was bad.

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 pm

i havent had a problem with mine for almost 5 years. about a month ago one battery died and i will NOT replace it. I check my air pressure weekly.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 pm

why can't things be properly diagnosed anything anymore?
RANT ON: we can send people to the moon and bring them back safely, but a car dealer can't do any more than guess with the customers' wallet to solve a problem :evil: .
RANT OFF.

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:10 pm

dude my pathy has onky been to deal ONCE. A month after I bought it the LCD screen went bad and it was fixed. never been back since. 67K miles later. I do all the work myself. I hate dealerships.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 pm

RCAPathfinder wrote:dude my pathy has onky been to deal ONCE. A month after I bought it the LCD screen went bad and it was fixed. never been back since. 67K miles later. I do all the work myself. I hate dealerships.
+1
once to the dealer
with multiple goof-ups on nothing more than simple fluid changes
they were even generous enough to chip the paint on my drivers' door while they had it there
gotta love 'em! :roll:
these posts should really be in the "Praise or Postal" forum

kcmaxx

Postby kcmaxx » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:15 am

My TPMS have always been in my stock wheels which until now have been my winter wheels. I run 20's in the summer and have never had an issue. They work fine with stock, but have never tripped the light not being in my summer wheels. I'm assuming since there is one in my spare it doesn't trip the light.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:54 am

avoid the dealer. Go to a reputable tire shop, and they will set you straight.

I took mine to costco. They were great.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:54 am

As I stated in the other TPMS thread, my dealer told me that 3 out of 4 of my sensors had problems codes. All they did was "reset" them and told me to keep and eye on them :roll:

I've only had my Pathy around 1.5 years. Are these TPMS sensors covered under warranty?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:35 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:As I stated in the other TPMS thread, my dealer told me that 3 out of 4 of my sensors had problems codes. All they did was "reset" them and told me to keep and eye on them :roll:

I've only had my Pathy around 1.5 years. Are these TPMS sensors covered under warranty?
should be (if defective), for 3yrs/36,000 miles
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... _N_WIB.pdf
did they charge you for re-setting them?
has it been a problem since?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 am

disallow wrote:avoid the dealer. Go to a reputable tire shop, and they will set you straight.

good to know :)
I trust Costco big time
what TPMS problem did you have, and what was Costco able to do for you?

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:25 pm

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Tires Service Bulletin 266948

NHTSA: Action Number: 10031305 Service Bulletin Number: 266948
Report Date:
Sep 30, 2010Component:
Tires
Summary: Nissan: tire pressure monitoring system (tpms) warning light on/flashing. No models or model years listed. *pe updated on 08-11-2011.

IS this any more to this TSB??

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 pm

kcmaxx wrote:I'm assuming since there is one in my spare it doesn't trip the light.
No TPMS in the spare. Your light should be tripping if any of the sensors isn''t received. All four being "gone" should mean...

akley88

Postby akley88 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:28 am

my light is on all the time because i couldnt be bothered with moving the sensors over to my new wheels

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 am

eieio wrote:
disallow wrote:avoid the dealer. Go to a reputable tire shop, and they will set you straight.

good to know :)
I trust Costco big time
what TPMS problem did you have, and what was Costco able to do for you?
My tires were all leaking due to a shady install I had done at a non-Costco shop. I was up front with the guy, and even though their policy is not to work on 'non-costco' tires, I could show I'd bought tires from them before. Normally flat repairs and rotations are free as long as you've bought the tires from them. When they dismounted the tires to fix the leak (the rims and valve stems were leaking like crazy), he told me there was a risk of damaging the TPMS sensors, especially since it looked like the hex on one of the valves stems was rounded off (due to the previous poor installation at 'Joe's tire service'. What was I thinking?!?).

He managed to salvage 3 of the 4 sensors, but one they basically had to destroy to get it off. I was waiting for the bad news, as most tire shops I've been to really stick it to you on the sensors. He came back and said $40 for the sensor. I got out of there for $75 inc taxes, and my tires are now perfect. And I watched them do the work, they really took care and did a good job.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't go to 'Joe's tire shop' when you want something fixed on your tires.
2. Costco isn't trying to make money off of their service, they just want to sell tires.

t

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:50 am

eieio wrote:
FLiPMaRC wrote:As I stated in the other TPMS thread, my dealer told me that 3 out of 4 of my sensors had problems codes. All they did was "reset" them and told me to keep and eye on them :roll:

should be (if defective), for 3yrs/36,000 miles
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... _N_WIB.pdf
did they charge you for re-setting them?
has it been a problem since?
No they didn't charge me for the reset. I was there for an oil change and tire rotation service ($20 :lol: ).

Yes, the problem still persists on the 3 sensors. The service manager said it may have something to do with radio frequencies. That some areas will interfere with the sensors. Anyone heard this before, or is it just BS :lol:

Just a quick Google: http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article ... myths.aspx

And I've read some forum threads where HID ballasts with also interfere with TPMS sensors :shock: :lol:
Last edited by FLiPMaRC on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”