Found a 08'. Buying it in a couple of days.

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:09 am

doctahjones wrote:i swear it was zero help after 80k miles.....
I think they actually extended it twice. Once because they received some lawsuits and again because they lost some of those lawsuits. It's all about covering your "ASSets." Nissan does a great job wrapping it up as a "customer satisfaction" program, though. VW makes their warranty extensions seem like, "we don't want to do this but we have to." It's a German thing, I think. :)

cabinpath wrote:How do I confirm the 8 yr/80k is really for both radiator AND tranny? The reason I wanted to do the bypass immediately is because I thought it is JUST for the radiator.
Here's the link to the official Nissan page explaining the issue: http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=22

The extended warranty covers the radiator assembly as well as "damage caused to other affected components, including the vehicle transmission, as a result of an internal leakage condition in the radiator assembly."

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:20 am

cabinpath wrote:
First, a certified check from bank of america is like cash.
Wrong. I know what a certified check is. I've been involved in finance and banking for 20 years. Almost all banks will hold cashiers checks because of fraud and it doesn't matter if it's drawn on BofA or First Bank of Bum Fck. In fact, BofA was one of the first to be hit with fraudulent cashiers checks many years ago because at the time they were assumed to be "like cash". Organized crime and many foreign companies have professional grade check printers that can fool everyone until it gets back to the "originating" bank. So if random stranger brings me a cashiers check, I sign over the title, and the check is returned a few days later by BofA....guess who's screwed? Me.
cabinpath wrote:
what if you sign the title and hand it over and then he starts running... hhhh.
Yeah yeah there's a million risks involved with anything. I'm just talking about mitigating the big ones. Like knowing if the title is clear or if the guy even has the title. Kind of a big one.

cabinpath wrote:
They do something called - "due diligence"
They do very little on car loans. The fact they're giving you the money and hoping you bring them back a clear title says a lot. You're on the hook for the loan regardless.
cabinpath wrote: quick claim deed
It's Quit-claim but i'm sure you knew that.

cabinpath wrote: How do I confirm the 8 yr/80k is really for both radiator AND tranny?
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=22

Good luck on the purchase. Most go down without any glitches but it happens so it pays to be diligent.

cabinpath

Postby cabinpath » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 am

skinny2 wrote:
cabinpath wrote:
First, a certified check from bank of america is like cash.
Wrong. I know what a certified check is. I've been involved in finance and banking for 20 years. Almost all banks will hold cashiers checks because of fraud and it doesn't matter if it's drawn on BofA or First Bank of Bum Fck. In fact, BofA was one of the first to be hit with fraudulent cashiers checks many years ago because at the time they were assumed to be "like cash". Organized crime and many foreign companies have professional grade check printers that can fool everyone until it gets back to the "originating" bank. So if random stranger brings me a cashiers check, I sign over the title, and the check is returned a few days later by BofA....guess who's screwed? Me.
cabinpath wrote:
what if you sign the title and hand it over and then he starts running... hhhh.
Yeah yeah there's a million risks involved with anything. I'm just talking about mitigating the big ones. Like knowing if the title is clear or if the guy even has the title. Kind of a big one.

cabinpath wrote:
They do something called - "due diligence"
They do very little on car loans. The fact they're giving you the money and hoping you bring them back a clear title says a lot. You're on the hook for the loan regardless.
cabinpath wrote: quick claim deed
It's Quit-claim but i'm sure you knew that.

cabinpath wrote: How do I confirm the 8 yr/80k is really for both radiator AND tranny?
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=22

Good luck on the purchase. Most go down without any glitches but it happens so it pays to be diligent.
How do I make sure it has a clear title?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:25 am

cabinpath wrote: How do I make sure it has a clear title?
He should have the title in his possession and either the lien has been released (marked/sealed on the title) or there is no one listed as a lienholder. NY is a bit different than other states and there are other options for transferring if there's a lien. I'd find out the basics first.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Get a Carfax. It's $40 and will tell you almost everything you need to know. All you need is the VIN.

cabinpath

Postby cabinpath » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:03 pm

All is done. Got the car.. Very very happy. Drove it upstate toy land- flawlessly.

I want to make sure - am I safe to run it until 8yr/80k for the whole radiator transmission without any fear?

I don't want to do the bypass if I don't need to and then have Nissan void the warranty if I do.

BigEz

Postby BigEz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 am

cabinpath wrote:All is done. Got the car.. Very very happy. Drove it upstate toy land- flawlessly.

I want to make sure - am I safe to run it until 8yr/80k for the whole radiator transmission without any fear?

I don't want to do the bypass if I don't need to and then have Nissan void the warranty if I do.
Keep this in mind... if you do the bypass like this:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 0400#60400

You can reverse the bypass without any sign you had it done. I'm in the same boat, I have an after-market warranty for the next 25K miles ( I'm currently at 100k). Even if the trans repair is covered, I don't want the hassle of it breaking on the road, etc..., so I bypassed it. If, on the other hand I have a different issue and it needs to go in for warranty work, I can reverse the bypass in less than 30 min with three tools.. with no signs it was there.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 pm

cabinpath wrote:All is done. Got the car.. Very very happy. Drove it upstate toy land- flawlessly.

Yes, you should be good to run it until 8 yrs/80K miles with no worries. Give your local dealership a call to verify.

The reason I did not do the bypass is out of principle. The bypass doesn't keep the radiator from breaking - it just blocks the coolant from getting into the transmission when it does break. 1) I hate the thought that I could be driving around with a faulty radiator and 2) I figure that the transmission fluid was designed to go through the radiator for a reason. I drove as usual until 80K miles and then replaced the radiator with the updated Nissan radiator (a relatively straightforward swap). I'm super anal about things like that and I feel like the radiator bypass falls into the same category as zip tying your hood shut when the latch breaks.

Return to “R51 General Chat”