TPMS!!!!!!!!

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:58 am

FLiPMaRC wrote:
eieio wrote:
FLiPMaRC wrote:As I stated in the other TPMS thread, my dealer told me that 3 out of 4 of my sensors had problems codes. All they did was "reset" them and told me to keep and eye on them :roll:

I've only had my Pathy around 1.5 years. Are these TPMS sensors covered under warranty?
should be (if defective), for 3yrs/36,000 miles
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... _N_WIB.pdf
did they charge you for re-setting them?
has it been a problem since?
No they didn't charge me for the reset. I was there for an oil change and tire rotation service ($20 :lol: ).
if it's within the warranty period, i'd have them fix it
FLiPMaRC wrote:[Yes, the problem still persists on the 3 sensors. The service manager said it may have something to do with radio frequencies. That some areas will interfere with the sensors. Anyone heard this before, or is it just BS :lol:
yeah, right, or maybe the Van Allen Radiation Belt :roll:

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 am

disallow wrote:
eieio wrote:
disallow wrote:avoid the dealer. Go to a reputable tire shop, and they will set you straight.

I took mine to costco. They were great.
good to know :)
I trust Costco big time
what TPMS problem did you have, and what was Costco able to do for you?
My tires were all leaking due to a shady install I had done at a non-Costco shop. I was up front with the guy, and even though their policy is not to work on 'non-costco' tires, I could show I'd bought tires from them before. Normally flat repairs and rotations are free as long as you've bought the tires from them. When they dismounted the tires to fix the leak (the rims and valve stems were leaking like crazy), he told me there was a risk of damaging the TPMS sensors, especially since it looked like the hex on one of the valves stems was rounded off (due to the previous poor installation at 'Joe's tire service'. What was I thinking?!?).

He managed to salvage 3 of the 4 sensors, but one they basically had to destroy to get it off. I was waiting for the bad news, as most tire shops I've been to really stick it to you on the sensors. He came back and said $40 for the sensor. I got out of there for $75 inc taxes, and my tires are now perfect. And I watched them do the work, they really took care and did a good job.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't go to 'Joe's tire shop' when you want something fixed on your tires.
2. Costco isn't trying to make money off of their service, they just want to sell tires.

t
Costco Rocks! :D

allisojh

Postby allisojh » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:41 am

Ok, its no longer a sensor issue.

Sensors all transmitting.

When the mechanic reset all of the sensors, they showed 35psi and transmitting and the vehicle's computer accepted the program and the TPMS light turned off.

The mechanic said the way the system works is the computer rakes a reading every 10-15 minutes so IF the light flashes at 10-15 minutes its a computer issue.

He said then it was a dealer issue.

He then confirmed what I told him by saying, I am not taking it to the dealer and being ripped off for 200+ to stop a light from flashing. I'll go back to the black tape.

Anyway... the story ends yet continues.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:04 pm

This is just an observation. Nothing scientific about it :lol:

Does any one else use the bottom Accessory Outlet near the glove box, the bottom one that's always on even if you turn off the truck? The "hot plug."

I noticed that every time my TPMS light goes on, my keyless entry remote also stops working. I have to press the remote button numerous times and be right next to the truck for me to lock/unlock.

About a month ago, I noticed I left my cellphone charger plugged in the Hot Plug. I don't know how I came to the conclusion that it might have affected the TPMS and the remote, but I decided to do an experiment. Since then I stopped using the hot plug and just used the top accessory plug to charge my cellphone. And since then, I haven't had the TPMS and keyless remote problem.

I'll report back after a while longer, to see if I'm still having problems. :lol:

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 pm

Interesting. I use that plug too

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:56 pm

I always have something plugged into both plugs, I never have an issue with TPMS.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”