FINISHED MY Bypass... Lost 2 quarts of fluid

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

unmeloy

FINISHED MY Bypass... Lost 2 quarts of fluid

Postby unmeloy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:14 pm

so decided to do the bypass... everything went great until i started it up and fluid started pouring from underneath (good thing i was testing it instead of driving it) i guess when i installed the barb i didnt tighten down one of the clamps and it came loose. lost about 2q of fluid on the ground. good thing is the fluid was perfectly clean. went to the stealership and bought 2 more quarts at 11$ each!!! highway freakin robbery. anyone switch from the type S or J to something a little cheaper and accessible without going through dealership? BTW all is working perfect now. havnt put the skid plate back on yet just to make sure but no problems thus far

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 am

Most synthetic ATF's can be used in Nissan Type "J" or "S" transmissions. Nissan Type "S" is made by Castrol for Nissan and is the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF. Personally, I've used Valvoline Max-life ATF in my 06 LE and an 08 SE and have had no issues whatsoever. I usually get it in a 1-gallon jug from Advance Auto Parts for around $22.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:04 am

if i were to switch to another type of ATF... do i need to flush and replace with it? or just drain and fill?

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:08 am

Just drain and refill. About 4 quarts should drain out through the drain plug. The transmission holds about 11 or 12 quarts if i recall.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”