Trans, transfer, and radiator oils change = $205 plus tax?!?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

cabinpath

Trans, transfer, and radiator oils change = $205 plus tax?!?

Postby cabinpath » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:58 am

Is that a good price?

I was just quoted that.... I am trying to figure out if I should just wait for Christmas, when I drive to my father-in-law aka the car guy, and just do these things with him... He is fairly knowledgeable on cars.

My pathy is 08' with 53k. So not in dire need of it.

How much will it cost me to do it myself?

(I posted this in the 2013+ by mistake - so if moderator see it as a double post: please delete the one in 2013+ as it was a mistake)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 pm

It doesn't sound out-of-line for a shop quote, but without knowing what brand materials they are using and their labor rate, it's impossible to say. You might want to try this site:
www.repairpal.com/estimator

Personally, I do these myself, so my cost is just in parts. I have an LE with AUTO mode transfer case, which has a larger fluid capacity than the regular transfer case. I purchase Valvoline Maxlife ATF in 1 gallon jugs to service the transmission and transfer case. I prefer to use genuine Nissan anti-freeze, which costs about double of aftermarket universal antifreeze, like Prestone. I also install new drain plug gaskets. So, for me, it costs about $65. Labor time wise, the guide probably calls for around 1.5-2.0 hours to do all three.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 am

Nice resource there SMJ!

cabinpath

Postby cabinpath » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks for the tips! I want to do it myself as well if I don't need special tools.

Do you know of a good guide online of how to do so?

Also, how do I know of I have auto transfer case? I have this small knob near the stick handle (it's automatic) that says 2WD-4H-PUSH-4LO

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:25 pm

cabinpath wrote: Also, how do I know of I have auto transfer case? I have this small knob near the stick handle (it's automatic) that says 2WD-4H-PUSH-4LO
That's the normal system (part-time). The "auto" system lets you leave it in 4x4 all the time and I believe was only available on the LE.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:32 pm

The auto trans is easy. There's a 19mm drain plug on the pan and a 10mm head bolt that holds the dipstick in the tube on the right side of the engine compartment. After warming the vehicle up to normal operating temperature, shut the engine off, remove the drain plug and let the fluid drain into a pan. Replace the drain plug washer and reinstall. Install a trans funnel into the dipstick tube and install about 3-3/4 qts. of Nissan Type "J" or "S" compatible ATF (Nissan Type "S" runs about $9/quart, which is the same as Castrol Multi-import ATF, which runs about $6/qt. I pick up a gallon jug of Valvoline Maxlife ATF from Advance Auto Parts for about $22. Amsoil and Royal Purple also make ATFs that are recommended for Type "S" applications). Start the vehicle, run until the fluid is at operating temperature and check the level. Top off as needed. Usually it takes 4 quarts or just a little under.

The transfer case needs a 10MM hex socket to remove the drain and fill plugs. I've always re-used the aluminum washers, but it is recommended that they be replaced. I highly recommend you purchase a fluid transfer pump. This will make it much easier to fill the transfer case and is also great for filling differentials. They can be found for around $20. Drain the fluid, reinstall the drain plug and fill to the fluid reaches the lip of the drain plug (make sure the vehicle is level). Regular Dexron III can be used in the transfer case, but I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF there, as well.

The radiator coolant is drained trough the radiator drain plug, or "petcock," obviously. The thing to remember about the R51 coolant system is that the radiator cap is not the pressure relief cap, like on earlier Pathfinders. It is actually the coolant reservoir cap that is the vent cap of the system. This is important to know because after you top off the radiator with coolant, you need to reinstall the cap before starting the vehicle or coolant will shoot out of the radiator opening and make a big mess! I prefer to use genuine Nissan green anti-freeze; they also make a longer life, blue antifreeze. But, any universal antifreeze (like Prestone) will work fine. Turn the key "on" and adjust the front and rear heaters to max heat. After draining the coolant, refill the radiator to the type with premixed antifreeze or a 50/50 mixture of concentrated antifreeze and distilled water. When the radiator is full, install the radiator cap and fill the reservoir to the "max" line. Install the reservoir cap. Raise the front of the vehicle or park on an incline for best purging results. Start the vehicle and let it warm up enough so that the thermostat will open; I usually run the engine at approximately 2500 RPM during this process. Usually about 10 minutes of this will purge most of the air out. Top off the reservoir as needed. If you experience any issues with poor heat, repeat the purge process again.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:33 pm

As stated, the auto-mode transfer case was available only the LE and the word "AUTO" was on the transfer case select knob.

cabinpath

Postby cabinpath » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Wow.. Thank you so much smj fir taking the time. I'll follow this guide closely.

Then my only question is - you explained how to change if it's an 'Auto' type transfer case by mine isn't - then how do I do it?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:54 pm

The procedure to change the transfer case oil is the same; the only difference is the capacity. IIRC, the non-AUTO transfer case takes about 2-3 quarts.

cabinpath

Postby cabinpath » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Looked into the costs of all these items and it should save me about $150 to do it myself if I do find a $20 pump...

Couldn't find one online. Any idea where I can find one?

Return to “R51 General Chat”