Plasti-dip rims

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

drmayer

Plasti-dip rims

Postby drmayer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:40 pm

I gave my rims a coat of plasti-dip over the weekend. I can't believe the difference it makes. I wish i had done it sooner!

RossCarlson

Postby RossCarlson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 pm

Looks fantastic, thanks for posting the picture. I've been debating on doing the same to my black 2008 LE and your picture just sealed the deal.

Last weekend I removed the V8 badge, pin striping and wrapped the chrome trim on the doors/hatch with matte black vinyl. Looks so much better already - when I dip the wheels I'm going to remove and spray the front grill as well (and I have headlight/tail light tint on the way). I also took off and wrapped all the fake wood-grain interior trim (tan interior). Amazing how these little things can add up to so much (in terms of great looks)

How did you spray the wheels? Did you take them off and spray one at a time? Leave the tires in place? I'm hoping to take off a wheel, spray it, let it dry a bit, replace then move to the next one. Thoughts? How long do they need to dry before you can handle them at all?

Would love any more pictures you have!

drmayer

Postby drmayer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 am

I removed two wheels at a time and sprayed them in my basement due to the cold. I let them sit overnight before i reinstalled them. If it wasn't the middle of winter in WI, i would have done them in the garage all 4 at at time. I wouldn't do them on the vehicle as you really need to move them around to get a good spray angle.

I started with them laying flat on the floor for the first few coats, then tipped them upright and rolled them around to get the spaces on the sides of the spokes.

I did 4-5 coats and only used 2 cans for the 4 wheels. Most people use at least 3 and into the 4th can. I'm thinking with the thicker spokes less material is lost to overspray than with a wheel with thin spokes.

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 pm

I plasti-dipped my wheels also. I love it. it took 2.5 cans at 5 coats. Looks awesome...

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:54 pm

FYI, how do I put pics in the text of a message?

shaggyT

Postby shaggyT » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:52 am

Did you take off the wheels? Or just cover the brakes?

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:34 am

did you tape off the rubber or peel it off after?

shaggyT

Postby shaggyT » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 am

DiBo wrote:did you tape off the rubber or peel it off after?
I haven't done my rims yet but from experience with my emblems I would just peel it off after. Taping up the wheels would be very tedious. Also if you have any over spray, you can easily buff it out with a microfiber cloth or rag.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”