check engine light is on...

General off-roading discussions...what's in your trail kit?

Moderators: volvite, cruzstyle

powayjuan78

check engine light is on...

Postby powayjuan78 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:44 pm

I got a 95 with 114***.. It runs good when it cold, the light won't go on till its turns off and restarted after its been warmed up a driven.. it runs but it runs rough and there is loss of power. Can anybody give me any pointers on what it could be and how I can fix it?[/b]

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:41 am

in order to diagnose this, you need to know the code that the computer is throwing. Not sure on your location, but most autoparts stores in the US will do this for free (Autozone, NAPA, etc).

If you can't do that, its a trip to your mechanic, and they can sort it. Find out the code and report back here for ideas on how to fix it.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:31 am

95 Pathys were OBD I, so a trip to local auto parts store for code retrieval isn't going to work in this case. You would either need a Kent-Moore checker box...which can be hard to find at even some dealers...or just read the red and green LED's on the ECM. One thing about the OBD I system is that it was a bit crude by todays's standards (although, it was state of the art when it was first introduced), it took a real, hard failure to set a code and the code will remain until it is erased. With that in mind, take any stored self-diagnostic codes with a grain of salt; write them down, erase, and go for a long road trip and recheck to see if it resets. Also, don't be surprised if there are no codes...which will show as a code "55" in self-diagnostic mode...even if the engine does run poorly. A site that fives code retrieval information on the OBD I system is:

www.troublecodes.net/Nissan?

Make sure you check your basics: the condition of your secondary ignition system (plugs, cap, rotor, wires), condition of your filters, check for vacuum leaks, confirm proper fuel pressure, check or replace your oxygen sensor (especially if it has a lot of miles on it), exhaust leaks around the O2 sensor, check for excessive play in the distributor shaft...

Return to “4x4 Tech”