Grinding noise

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

HydroPonix

Grinding noise

Postby HydroPonix » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Hey guys,

I just changed my rotors and pads, all 4 less than 4k miles ago and when I brake hard I get this really awful grinding noise from the front brakes. What is going on here?? Today is the first time this has happened... Any ideas? Pads shouldnt be worn down, they are still just under half an inch thick. Anything I should look for?

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:47 pm

i would double check to make sure that nothing is in the way between the pads and rotors... and make sure that rotors are not directional... other than that... could just be that they need to be seated properly. my 2c

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:11 pm

I forgot to mention it started just after they rotated my tires and they said my front right wheel bearing needs to be replaced soon.
I will head to the tire shop and have them look at it. Unmeloy, i will look at the clearance of the pads and the propper rotation of the rotor, just stinks that it just happened to start right after a rotation.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:14 pm

yeah... bearings sounds like it might be it to... try seeing if there is any play in the tire. try jacking up the front end and rotating the tire and see if you can feel or hear any grinding... might try rotating with the tire off

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Well the funky sou d went away. Inspected the brakes.. nothing wrong. Ball joints good, suspension good. Only prob was the wheel bearings. So who knows.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”