For those with black vehicles...come on in!

Let's go, Zaino, Mothers, Meguiars...Fight!

Moderator: volvite

Godzirra

For those with black vehicles...come on in!

Postby Godzirra » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Hello all!

I have mostly black or dark vehicles and I was wondering what product do you guys use? I'm talking about waxes and polishes for exterior. I was bored to death today so I polished 3 of my black vehicles. Each one I ended up using different products. One vehicle I used Zaino. Another one I used strictly all Griot's. On my black Pathy, I used a combination of Griot's product and decided to try Meguire's tech wax 2.0 to finish.

What have you guys experimented with? I normally stick with Griot's products but wanted to try new products. I took some pics from my phone but it really doesn't do it justice.

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:15 am

Can you tell us which one of them ones you tried worked the best? Most of us are lucky enough to afford just one car, but 5 :shock: ???

Godzirra

Postby Godzirra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:31 am

Sorry, I just now saw your post.

I've been having warm weather here later and decided to take the GT-R out since all the snow has melted. I've decided to not let it sit in the garage all winter. Anyways, it was nice pretty much all week so I decided to wash off all the salt and crap off the SUVs. Each vehicle has it's own regiment with certain products so I can't really say as of now what works best all across the board. Since the paint on the GTR is new, I use Griot's Fine Polish and apply their Paint sealer on top of that. The fine polish is used for upkeep of new vehicles that does not need any scratches to be removed. For Pathy, I've just started bringing back the ole shine to her. Pathy was sitting in underground garage in AZ for the last 2 yrs without any sort of wax or polish. It's been neglected and constantly covered in that desert "dust." I've started out using a clay bar. Now, I'm not an expert at refinishing or detailing but I'm a DIY-er. I love to learn and cleaning my cars relaxes me. It's been sort of a hobby now and I love testing new products. Ok, back to Pathy...I've used Meguires compound to get a few scratches out. So far, I do like that product for buffing out garage scrapes on my Armada. After the compound I use Griot's polish with an orange pad. It gives it a nice deep gloss. I have recent pics, but it's hard to tell what I'm describing. After the polish, I had applied Griot's sealer (I'll get the exact name next time I'm in the garage.) I use a red pad for the sealer. For protection, this is where I'm trying out different waxes. I didn't like the Meguire's tech wax 2.0. IMO, it didn't shine as well as Zaimol. I had high hopes as I read about the tech wax on this forum. Zaimol was easier to apply on and looked great. On the Range, I strictly use hand polish since I'm afraid to burn the paint. The Range is all aluminum. (Hail damage will total this vehicle) I'm tried 2 different products out over the weekend. It's from a reputable local shop in town and seems to be the go-to place for auto refinishers and professional detailers. I will post the name of the product next time. One is a polish, the other is a wax. The stuff was amazing and was easy to appy. Instant results.

As far as my vehicles...I just like keeping my vehicles. I buy all my cars new. I traded my 2001 Infiniti QX4 towards my Armada. They were offering huge discounts that year because of the rising prices of gas. In 2010 I traded my 2005 Nissan 350Z Roadster for a 370Z Roadster. I'm a huge Z fan. I have 2 homes so I need to have vehicles at both places to enjoy. All my vehicles have low mileage because I rotate driving them. Pathy has the most mileage at 83K. The Armada just hit 56k. The Range has 11k. 370Z has 7k. And the GT-R just hit 1700 miles since my purchase in July. Cars are paid off except Godzilla.

Hope that answers your question. Originally, I needed to have a fun car and an SUV at the condo so I chose to take the Z and Pathy there. I had the 2 remaining SUV's here because of the winters here in Nebraska. Armada is used for heavy snow, and Range is used for going to nice places. I needed a fun car here so I bought the GT-R as a birthday present to myself. I drove Pathy back from AZ to give to my 16 yr old niece as her first car. She didn't want it and had her stepfather purchase a Dodge Neon for her. I know, really? So anyways, Pathy is here and will be my project car to test products and maybe some modifications. I am currently in the market to purchase another SUV for AZ, since I can't fit friends in a Z. So there's my logic for having all my vehicles. They are worth more to me to keep and use.

Return to “Detailing Details”