Resetting the TPMS Question

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Resetting the TPMS Question

Postby DanJetta » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Question: When one of the tire pressure monitors dies, is there a way to reset the system so that the light turns off temporarily? Sort of like erasing a CEL code only to have it return a few miles later.

I ask because I took my car to Firestone to have a dead TPM sensor replaced ($80 vs the dealer's $250) and they said they did it. A week later my tire light came on again and the dash display read "***" for one of the tires, indicating a dead TPM sensor. When I looked at the Firestone paperwork, the mechanic had written "All sensors are reading, system needed to be reset" on the last page.

I'm now wondering if they actually replaced the sensor or just reset the TPMS.

Thoughts?

Knightro

Postby Knightro » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:20 am

I don't know how the reset(that's temporary anyway) is done but I had a similar experience. Put new wheels and tires on the truck and used the sensors from my stock wheels in the new ones but one was rusted or frozen on so they had to replace it with an aftermarket one. When I left the shop all was well and then about 50 miles or so later the light came on. I happened to be at the dealer getting a u joint replaced and they said it just needed to be programmed. The system wasn't recognizing the new sensor. They didn't charge me. 600 miles and light still off so that's all it needed.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:32 am

This is great info. Thanks!

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:09 pm

Same here. I was at my Nissan dealer for an oil change and I told them about my TPMS light coming on. They did the reset and reprogram for free. (more details on another TPMS thread)

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”