Colorado tire choice

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:31 pm

I went with the SA recommendation (courtesy of these same voices here) a few months back and have been very happy. P rated, stock size (17s). I've put about 6K miles on them in a variety of weather (just not consistent heavy rain) - they were great in about 5-6 inches of new snow driving up over the Sacramento Mountains back in December and were fine in mud on my in-laws farm. I regularly drive rocky desert dirt roads for trail head access with no problem at all and I just got back from camping in the Chiricahua Mountains in the southeast corner of Arizona (more rocky dirt). They have not put a tread block wrong yet. I think I lost maybe 0.5 mpg over the long trails, but the traction difference is night and day. That isn't to say I wouldn't have been just as happy with something else, but if this experience continues I'm unlikely to look too far when it's time to get some more.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:01 am

doctahjones wrote:but for me the BFG ATs work -great-. i'm completely happy with them.
I don't know of anyone who isn't in love with theirs, which boggles my mind since I've had so many bad experiences with them on 3 different vehicles. Oh well, I guess I've always been outside the norm.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:18 pm

NVSteve wrote: I don't know of anyone who isn't in love with theirs, which boggles my mind since I've had so many bad experiences with them on 3 different vehicles. Oh well, I guess I've always been outside the norm.
or maybe you're expecting F1 race car grip out of them on the snow? :P :lol:

not on the rug

bfg

Postby not on the rug » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 am

NVSteve wrote: I don't know of anyone who isn't in love with theirs, which boggles my mind since I've had so many bad experiences with them on 3 different vehicles. Oh well, I guess I've always been outside the norm.
I think the bfgs drive extremely well off road. they are pretty decent in snow. But they are terrible on pavement and especially wet pavement. I've driven 5-6 different vehicles (friends' trucks and suvs and 2 of my dad's trucks) with the bfgs on them and I really can't imagine driving around on them full time. They're clunky and they have terrible steering response and they honestly made me uncomfortable at speeds over 50mph. Unless I was driving offroad 90% of the time, I'd never run them

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:29 am

doctahjones wrote:
or maybe you're expecting F1 race car grip out of them on the snow? :P :lol:
Not snow, just a bit of water on the roads from an afternoon thunderstorm. Things don't really get to me while driving, but I have almost shit myself a few times while driving with the BFGs on a wet road.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: bfg

Postby NVSteve » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:33 am

not on the rug wrote:
I think the bfgs drive extremely well off road. they are pretty decent in snow. But they are terrible on pavement and especially wet pavement.
That's exactly my experience with them. Glad to know I'm not completely nuts. I've noticed that once they are 50% worn or more, they are exponentially worse in all conditions.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”