Why am i getting bad gas milage?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

kryptek213

Postby kryptek213 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 pm

DanJetta wrote:A decrease in gas mileage after an accident is a common complaint. Unfortunately, there are quite a few things that can cause the drop, including a faulty frame, damaged suspension components (shocks/struts), damaged wheel components (bearings/hub), damaged exhaust components (manifold), missing aerodynamics components (such as the skid plate mentioned above).

I would take it to a dealership and pay the $80 to have it checked out with a fine-toothed comb. In my experience, body shop guys haven't been the most competent of the car care professionals.

Also, make sure you're measuring your MPGs properly – not with the dash meter (I feel like those are more for entertainment). When the gas light comes on, fill 'er up, write down how much and reset the odometer. The next time the gas light comes on, do some quick math and you have an accurate measure of how much gas you're using.

Also, I have to say... you guys are all getting terrible mileage! My V8's average hovers around 16 and part of my commute includes DC Beltway traffic.
Well i am gonna take your advice and go to the dealer and get it checked out. and yea i am missing a skid plate. wtf? how much are the skid plates?

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Tue May 20, 2014 9:31 am

I have a 2005 and I average 13-14 mpg. I live in CA so we have strange gasoline here. The computer indicates that my average speed is 30 mph, this is almost always the case. Purely highway driving I can get 17-18 mpg. When I'm on other states my mpg increases by 2.

Return to “R51 General Chat”