2008 pathfinder S, Brake/Rotor Replacement - Raybestos?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Find_The_Path

2008 pathfinder S, Brake/Rotor Replacement - Raybestos?

Postby Find_The_Path » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Just bought my 2008 Pathfinder, S with 95,000 miles.
Just finished the bypass (Pics and write up if I can find the time, took them.. lol), front and rear diff fluid replacement, engine and cabin air filters, and bought spark plugs (A little harder than I tought they would be).

Looking to replace my brake pads at least. Considering the rotors as well, but wanted to see what everyone thought.

Not sure on when (if) the rotors have been replaced, but I was hearing a little scratching and the screamer on the rear pad was hitting. I cut it off for now and am ordering parts.
Interestingly, Amazon Prime has the Raybestos pads and rotors for the best price, no tax, free shipping.
Are Raybestos consdiered the best brand in terms of everyday functionality? I have a grudge with AutoZone, but have an O'Riley's, NAPA, KOI, Smyth close to the house, so any brand I can get. I've seen Greenstuff, Autozone brand, as well as others on here.

I was looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015S ... PDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015S ... PDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R ... PDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015R ... PDKIKX0DER

When I took the wheels off and looked at the rotors, they seemed fine. Maybe a slight bit of waves, but you can only feel with your fingernail, nothing visible, no shaking with stopping.

What everyone on here do? Replace just the pads (around $80) or everything (around $270).

I dont mind spending the money if they are needed, but don't want to waste it either.

Thanks for the help in advance, and great forum, read it all the time.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:19 pm

I'm on my second set of Akebono's and very happy with them. They're very popular with forum members as well. Quiet and very similar performance to OEM at more than half the cost.

Raybestos premium rotors are well regarded, as are the Wagner. I honestly forget which I bought but I didn't replace them until the second brake job around 100k miles.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:28 pm

I agree with the Akebono Ceramics, which I got from Rockauto.com. Akebono has been an OEM supplier of brake parts to Nissan for decades. If you are not experiencing any pulsation when braking, you should be able to get away with scuffing up the rotor surface with some sandpaper. Better would be to take the rotors and have them resurfaced on a brake lathe, which would be cheaper than new rotors, assuming they can be resurfaced within specs. Otherwise, Raybestos Professional Series and Wagners will work fine. Avoid cheap rotors as they are made from a poor quality steel and tend to warp easily.

Find_The_Path

Postby Find_The_Path » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:03 am

Great, thank you both for the help. I'll look into the Akebono pads. And I'll take the rotors up to the local machinist and see if they can be resurfaced. I'd hate for the new pads to be a different size and get all messed up from the dirty spots on the rotor.
Thanks again!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50 am

It's always best to have a clean rotor surface to break-in the pads properly, be it having them resurfaced or replacing them.

Find_The_Path

Postby Find_The_Path » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Just ordered Akebonos. No issues with the rotors so I figure I'll save myself $200. Planning in scuffing with sandpaper. Guess we'll see how it works out!
Thanks for the help!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”