TPMS DIY RESET

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

lebanesepathy

TPMS DIY RESET

Postby lebanesepathy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 am

Was surfing around the net and found this does it really work??

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:06 am

good find.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:12 pm

Yes, this is the "manual" method to re-ID the sensor location, but the service manual lists the tire pressures as follows:
LF-36psi, RF-33 psi, RR-30 psi and LR-27 psi.
However, this will not fix an issue caused by a weak or bad battery, obviously, and if you replace a sensor, it "may" need to be woke up first with a trigger tool (depending on brand) and will need to be registered with the Keyless remote/TPMS control unit.

Find_The_Path

Postby Find_The_Path » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:27 am

Tried this yesterday with the paper clip. Did not have a pressure gauge so I just deflated the tires until I thought they were a little low. The light started blinking, drove for about 20 minutes on the way home from work in stop and go metro traffic, and then a long beeping noise and the light went off and came back on. Filled the tires back to 35 PSI each (maybe a little more) and drove it again, and also in to work today and the light is still on. Does not blink when I start the car, just stays solid. It's a 2008 that I just bought, so I'm guessing I need new sensors. Tires are less than a year old, so I might be cutting a piece of tape instead of paying $200 for new sensors and installation. I may try to stop in the Tire Discounters where the tires were purchased and see if they will take a look at it.
Dang.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:02 pm

Find_The_Path wrote:Tried this yesterday with the paper clip. Did not have a pressure gauge so I just deflated the tires until I thought they were a little low. The light started blinking, drove for about 20 minutes on the way home from work in stop and go metro traffic, and then a long beeping noise and the light went off and came back on. Filled the tires back to 35 PSI each (maybe a little more) and drove it again, and also in to work today and the light is still on. Does not blink when I start the car, just stays solid. It's a 2008 that I just bought, so I'm guessing I need new sensors. Tires are less than a year old, so I might be cutting a piece of tape instead of paying $200 for new sensors and installation. I may try to stop in the Tire Discounters where the tires were purchased and see if they will take a look at it.
Dang.
I am sure the pressures listed are for the system to know the location of each sensor. As for it went off and came back on that's because you intiated learning mode and it was over so when it ended the light came back on.

Find_The_Path

Postby Find_The_Path » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Duh. How could I have missed that. Set the pressures as listed. Tapped it 6 times to go into learning mode. Light went off after about 15 min then came right back on. Filled tires back to 35 psi and light went off after like 3 minutes. AWESOME!!!!!!
Thanks for the information and help.
Hopefully it stays off!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”