Rear View Mirror Temperature? Always wrong.

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

porksoda

Rear View Mirror Temperature? Always wrong.

Postby porksoda » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:33 pm

I was wondering if there is a way to either reset the temperature settings on the rear view mirror or replace some sort of sensor?
I can go out to my car right now and check the temperature and it'll say its like 95-100*F. Although it is actually 70*F outside. During the day when it is in the 90's the temp it'll say on the mirror will be like 120*F. So I am sure something can be done. Hope someone can give me some information on this.

Thanks!

BTW my ride is a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder SE OffRoad 4x4.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Try cleaning the sensor bulb, first, and see if that works. The ambient temp sensor is usually located behind the grille, in front of the AC condenser.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:44 am

Does it correct itself once you're driving? I can think of multiple vehicle that give goofy readings when it's sitting (particularly in the hot sun) but once driving it is accurate. That seems normal to me.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:14 am

with the temperature sensor practically inside the engine compartment, I can't figure out why these readings on the display aren't far more off the mark than they are
they are surprisingly accurate in both of my R51s

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:30 pm

It doesn't make a difference if I am driving or parked. Seems like it is always like around 20 degrees higher then it actually is.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:07 am

about the only thing I can think of to try would be to toggle back and forth from Fahrenheit to Celcius a few times to see if it makes a difference
instructions are in the owners' manual on pg 2-9
otherwise, the service manual should have specs and procedures to test the sensor

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:26 am

Its a Gentex Mirror with a temp sensor. As far as i'm aware there is no calibration procedure. It could be time for a new temp sensor. Also, unplug the sensor and look at the connection. These are resistance driven so even a small amount of schmutz (technical term), can cause an issue.

I have one in all three of my cars. Two of them came out of chevy trucks at the junkyard and all three are between 5-10 degrees off. 20 is an awfully big difference.

I honestly dont think you're going to get 100% accuracy with the thing when compared to say, a digital thermometer. But, you should be within 5 degrees of it.

EDIT: there is a compass recalibration procedure for these if your compass is acting up.

Return to “General Automotive”