Brake Grinding

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Sasquatchege

Brake Grinding

Postby Sasquatchege » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 pm

I've been driving my 08 v8 LE 4x4 for a few months now. Happy with it other than the apparently normal rattles. When I first got it the brakes made a grinding (not high pitched squeal, more like a a rubbing growl) upon stopping. It was within the month warranty and the dealership said the pads were fine. Still made the noise and they replaced the front rotors, said they were warped and turning would take them below spec. Still making the noise. It's got about 42k miles now. Would anyone advise me take it somewhere else for another look? Are the stock pathfinder pads just noisy/ grindy? I'd appreciate any advice/ info.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Do they make the noise all the time? I doubt they're OEM pads. 42k miles on an '08 seems like a lot of city driving. I got 50k miles out of my OEM pads but I do a lot of highway (120k miles on it). Neither the OEM or the Akebono pads I've used make a sound. Very quiet. I would bet you have some very cheap aftermarket pads. Probably something semi-metallic instead of the OEM ceramic. What type of rotors did they install?

Sasquatchege

Postby Sasquatchege » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:11 pm

They typically make noise just before stoping and sometimes when coming to a slow moving stop (parking lots). I'd say I'm hearing it 90ish percent of the time but what's worse than hearing it, I can feel it. Not vibration but I can feel he grinding/ rubbing through the pedal. The pads were not changed when I bought it. Not sure if they are original or cheap after market.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”