Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am

Finally got some decent snow here, and they definitely live up to their praise on snow packed and icy roads.

I run about 30 PSI, and they did fine in pretty bad conditions, both wet, slushy, snow packed, and some cases icy conditions. I'm sure the wight of the vehicle helped too, but in no way did I ever lose confidence in them.

Now I just need to wait on the next large storm to bring some fun stuff so I can take them offroad in the white stuff.

Been in some trails and they have yet to let me down, and I haven't done mud but plan to shortly, or whenever mod is available.

viking84

Postby viking84 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:09 am

Looking to put Duratracs on my stock Pathfinder with the 18" LE rims. The original tires are 255/60 - 18, but I see that 265/75 - 16 was recommended earlier. Was this with stock suspension? If so that equals 265/65 - 18, around 1.5" bigger diameter.

I might be better off with the 265/60 - 18 option which is only fractionally bigger than stock, but of course the bigger the better as long as there is no rubbing :)

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:24 am

My 08 LE came with 265 60 18's.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:16 am

I have about 36k on mine now, with between 4/32nds and 7/32nds of tread left, which varies from tire to tire, outer edge of the tire vs center vs inner, etc. They basically look like worn mudders now, as most of the siping is gone. I've noticed a few times recently where I'll be at a full stop at an intersection, then have the wheels spin a bit on the painted lines when it is raining. I'll most likely be replacing these before winter is in full swing. They've also become fairly loud, but pretty much all of the AT tires I have previously owned did the same thing as they wore out. All in all, they have been fantastic tires with a better longevity than any others I have had in the past.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:46 pm

I've still yet to replace mine as I've been gone so much this summer for the military and my wife has slowed down her travels. However I have over 50K miles on the tires and will have to replace them before the snow hits in Utah. Can't have the wife driving slicks around in the mountains.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:40 am

volvite wrote:I've still yet to replace mine as I've been gone so much this summer for the military and my wife has slowed down her travels. However I have over 50K miles on the tires and will have to replace them before the snow hits in Utah. Can't have the wife driving slicks around in the mountains.
I'm confident I could push them to 50k too, if I lived somewhere else that never saw snow. Sounds like you need to get yours replaced asap. Are you going to stick with the Duratrac?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:13 pm

NVSteve wrote:
volvite wrote:I've still yet to replace mine as I've been gone so much this summer for the military and my wife has slowed down her travels. However I have over 50K miles on the tires and will have to replace them before the snow hits in Utah. Can't have the wife driving slicks around in the mountains.
I'm confident I could push them to 50k too, if I lived somewhere else that never saw snow. Sounds like you need to get yours replaced asap. Are you going to stick with the Duratrac?
Duratracs are on the list of possible replacements. Basically I'm looking for the best least expensive set I can get between the Duratracs and the GYSA.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Just got off the phone with Discounttire. Had to special order the Duratrac (again) because they don't normally stock them in the LT C1 load range. Also ordered new lower control arms last week, along with cam bolts. With all the stories of how the old bolts ended up needing to be cut because they were frozen to the inner bushing sleeves, I figured I may as well just replace the arms altogether. Should make my alignment guys happy now. I still think 38k on my Duratracs is pretty impressive considering a lot of the crappy, rock chewing terrain I drive through. There simply is not enough tread left for me to feel safe enough driving through snow.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:19 am

So about two weeks ago the family and I were getting ready to head to Teton National Park in Wyoming. The air pressure light came on before we left so a few nights before I went out to fill back up the tires. While I was out doing my job I noticed in the passenger rear tire a nice metal object.

Knowing the tires were worn already I don't think a tire shop would have repaired the tire. I've been looking for new tires as winter is coming to Utah and with me being gone all the time for the military I couldn't leave the wife with slicks.

I ended up buying a set of Goodyear adventures. While not as aggressive as the duratracs they have been nice so far. I've yet to test them in the winter driving but they did great on our trip to Tetons and some back roads we drove down. I did enjoy the duratracs. I don't have the exact mileage at this moment but I know I got over 50K miles out of my set.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:21 am

volvite wrote:So about two weeks ago the family and I were getting ready to head to Teton National Park in Wyoming. The air pressure light came on before we left so a few nights before I went out to fill back up the tires. While I was out doing my job I noticed in the passenger rear tire a nice metal object.
I feel your pain. An office space next door to mine was torn down and rebuilt over the summer. The guys doing the work were dropping things left and right. I ended up with a drywall screw in one of my tires, along with 3 other people in my office experiencing the same.
I know I got over 50K miles out of my set.
Yeah, but you have absolutely no tread left whatsoever in a couple of those pics. Surprised you made it through last winter

:lol:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:45 pm

NVSteve wrote:
volvite wrote:So about two weeks ago the family and I were getting ready to head to Teton National Park in Wyoming. The air pressure light came on before we left so a few nights before I went out to fill back up the tires. While I was out doing my job I noticed in the passenger rear tire a nice metal object.
I feel your pain. An office space next door to mine was torn down and rebuilt over the summer. The guys doing the work were dropping things left and right. I ended up with a drywall screw in one of my tires, along with 3 other people in my office experiencing the same.
I know I got over 50K miles out of my set.
Yeah, but you have absolutely no tread left whatsoever in a couple of those pics. Surprised you made it through last winter

:lol:
I was thinking of getting new tires last winter as well but we decided to hold off and what tread was left did fair last winter. We did put on about 7K miles this summer with trips which ended up putting us over the 50K miles for the duratracs.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:26 pm

After some 30k miles update:

I have 265/70-R17 and they wear very slowly. Like thread dropped from 14 mm when new to 11 mm now, pretty equal across all tires and across each tire width. Still pretty quiet and they grip excellent on dry road, pavement, gravel, sand, mud, deep snow, over the roots, stones etc.

On the other side they were never very good on wet pavement, slippery roads and ice. As time and wear go by, they worsen on those 3 categories, so I need to be quite careful when it begins to rain.
Interesting, the above categories would not be so bad if I would count only straight driving, accelerating and braking. But when it comes to cornering under wet or slippery conditions, they are more like plastic than rubber. I never thought I will learn to drift on highway entries with such a huge vehicle...

Shame, they are still so excellent off-road and on dry road, otherwise I would've had changed them already.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Some 20k later, so 50k in total on Duratracs:

On wet tarmac, compacted snow and ice they became quite unreliable. Seems like softer outer compound is worn out and the worse lower layers came out. They have some 5-6mm of thread (13mm new) and I don't feel safe anymore.

Beside that, I had 3 tires punctured, one classic nail right into the groove, then once one misterious side rapture almost inch and a half in length, and few weeks ago another misterious puncture of 3rd tire, some 5 or 6 tiny holes on driving bead...have no idea what happened.

All in all, I bought new set of BFG T/A KO2's and as far as I can tell, I am super happy with them, especially on wet tarmac.

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am

I've got these on order and am having them installed in a few days. What PSI should I run in them? I live in South Carolina and right now the weather is ~80-90degrees for a high. I drive around 45 mins each way to work, and that's a mixture of rough/hilly/windy back roads and about 10 minutes of highway driving.

According to DiscountTire - they call for 40PSI.. is that what I should run? Currently not towing anything. 12 Pathfinder S 4.6V6 2wd.

Thanks in advance

Infinity-x

Postby Infinity-x » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”