LED Headlights?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

penny99

LED Headlights?

Postby penny99 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:02 pm

As most of you know the headlights (low and hi beam) are mediocre at best on the pathfinder. I was cruising around the web looking for something that could possibly solve the problem.

I found this link on the frontier club website: https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_l ... ight_bulbs

Has anyone put LED headlights in their pathy? Do they really work like they claim?

Any ideas/comments are welcome

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:13 am

The problem with the OEM headlights isn't so much brightness but optics. They have a low cut-off that interferes with high beam use and the reflectors scatter light. I've installed HID's and they were still crap as the light just scattered about and I blinded everyone. I had to adjust them down so far to keep from blinding others that they were really no better, so I removed them

Replacing the guts with projectors seems like a better choice and someone did that recently. I can live with the low beams but added aux lights to go with the high beams which made a big difference.

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 am

+1 for the aux lights. I put a 24" rigid led bar that I can trigger with the high beams or command on when I need more light.

Other option is to swap out the housings, which can be a pain with having to remove the bumper

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:56 pm

A thought: Cars that come from the factory with LED headlights usually have a multi-source design. Porsche, for example, has 4 LEDs per side behind projector lenses. Toyota, Cadillac, Audi and Acura also have multiple LEDs per headlight assembly (up to 10 in an array). I'm thinking it's probably not as easy as simply adding a single LED bulb to an existing housing. I could be wrong, though.

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:41 pm

I've been going back and forth about LED headlights as well. There are a few options out there, but from what I've read, they all seem to be coming from the same Chinese manufacturing source then getting branded/marketed by different companies here in the states. The best looking design out there seems to be the one used by GTR Lighting and PlasmaGlow.

That being said, LED headlights are still a very new technology and measures of their effectiveness and the practicality of conversions are still in their infancy. Ultimately, I've decided to hold off for a while and watch to see who makes a name for themselves as the industry leader before I spend any money trying what's out there. If you do make the switch, please do post the results; I'd love to hear how well they work from a PF owner and not the company selling them.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:29 pm

I go back and forth with the headlights as well the stock lights are less then stellar! I have a bull bar on my PF so I may just install a set of Hella 550 driving lights. I had a set on a Volvo years ago and the improvement was staggering! My Volvo went from no lights to a Craft I could have used on the dark side of the moon! They went on on low beam and off on high beam. To be honest it made the high beams about useless as the lows were now much stronger and if adjusted correctly I never had a problem with oncoming cars. I never got pulled over for them either as I figured I would have. Anyway I think it's time to add some Hellas to the bull bar on my Pathy.

Return to “R51 Electrical”