Trailer Hitch question

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

LessThanZero

Trailer Hitch question

Postby LessThanZero » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:15 pm

1. Is the trailer hitch a part of the frame? Meaning, if I removed it would it soften the frame any?

2. Who produces replacements for a 2008?

For some reason mine is rusting out on the bottom. I never plan on doing any towing so I really don't need one. However, if it actually a stiffener for the frame I need to replace it.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:44 am

I certainly wouldn't remove it. It has to add some rigidity to the frame although I don't recall exactly how it's attached. Given that the hitch is standard from the factory on all models it might be welded in.

I don't think you're really seeing rust (perforation) as much as just surface oxidation. The hitch isn't prepped and painted like the body panels so it will surface rust easily as the paint wears off. Mine was getting rough looking from taking the draw bar in/out and where it's been bumped/scratched from the bottom. I just recently took some sand paper to it and scuffed it up. Then hit it with some flat black Rustoleum. It looks much better now.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:56 pm

They bolt on to the end of the frame. While they are standard in North America, they are optional in other countries. I don't know if I would say it would "soften" the frame if you removed it. Obviously, any tow hitch is going to add strength and protection to the frame. You can get a genuine Nissan replacement hitch for around $167+shipping from www.1stAAANissanParts.com. That would be the way I'd go. The P/N is: 51170-ZS08A

LessThanZero

Postby LessThanZero » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's the only thing that is rusty on the underbody of the car. I don't know why that is, but I can stick a screw driver into it with no problem. So, it's pretty much shot and I don't use it so I'll probably just remove it and see what happens.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:43 am

Could you post a picture? I doubt it's rusted through, on the underside it can appear as more rust then their actually is. Most likely it's just surface rust. I would suggest removing it and then using an aircraft stripper (can be found at autozone) or a wire wheel to remove the rust and old chipping paint. Then just paint with a few coats of rustoleum.

Either way, I would believe it adds structure to the frame in the rear and would try to keep on there.

Return to “R51 General Chat”