Weird TPMS issue!

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Weird TPMS issue!

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:16 pm

This is a weird one! Earlier in the year, I replaced all four TPMS sensors in my 2008 Pathfinder SE with Dorman direct-fit TPMS sensors. I have a trigger tool and scantool to register the sensors and everything went fine! I have used Dorman TPMS sensors in my 06 Pathy and in an 08 Maxima and have never had any problems...and I don't think this problem is due to the sensors.
After a month or two, I had to work on the timing chains, so I disconnected the battery for several hours while I worked on the chains. Everything went fine and all seemed well, until I noticed whenever the truck sat for several minutes, the TPMS light would start flashing and the tire pressure readings on the display would all go from "35" to "**" at the same time. I used the scantool to view datastream and check the sensor registration data and they all read "done," like they should. Once you start driving a short distance, the tire pressures reappear on the vehicle's display screen and the TPMS warning light stops flashing and goes out. I've since tried to erase the TPMS ID's and re-register them to see if it fixed the problem, but it did not. There are also no stored trouble codes in the BCM fault data. Being that all TPMS sensors are practically new, are not setting any codes, and all four tire pressures are disappearing and reappearing at the exact same time, I have a hard time believing that it is a sensor issue and seemingly more of a control unit issue.
Any one ever run into this or have any thoughts (other than put a piece of tape or business card over the light)?

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:15 am

I havent had that issue personally but I know that some manufacturer TPMS sensors go into a "sleep" mode after a certain amount of time.

Could it be that the aftermarket sensors arent 100% like the Nissan OEM's and the computer doesnt know what to do when the sensors arent broadcasting?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:46 am

I'd check with Dorman, see what they advise.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:07 pm

I did send an e-mail to Dorman's tech support and am waiting to hear back. "Sleep" mode is used on the sensors only when they are first manufactured to keep them from killing the batteries while sitting on the shelf. Once they are "woke up" out of sleep mode with the trigger tool, they don't go back and stay active. I also have Dorman sensors on my 06 Pathy and an 08 Maxima and I don't have the same issues. Also, it wasn't doing this for about a month or two after installing them on the 08 Pathy; it was only after having the battery disconnected while replacing the upper timing chains that this problem started occurring. I figured erasing the ID's and re-registering them with the controller would fix the issue, but didn't. I might try disconnecting the battery again for a few minutes and reconnecting it to see what happens.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:50 pm

please be sure to keep us posted
these difficult diagnoses are always of interest

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:18 pm

I got a response from Dorman's Tech support. I'll update this once I give it a try, but for those interested, here's their response:

Stephen

Here is what our TPMS guy had on this.

My suggestion is to force a complete reset of the TPMS system.

This application can be forced into DTC diagnostics by grounding out the tire pressure warning connector with the ignition switch in the On position.

Simply connect a wire to the OBD bracket using an alligator clip and connect the other end to the terminal with the white wire.

The TPMS MIL will flash long and short blinks indicating a code number.

I.E. two long and three short equals Code 23 (RR No Data).

If the TPMS MIL flashes continuously (at 5 Hz) no codes are set.

Once this is done and the ignition is switched Off the codes will be erased.

The attached PDF file provides instructions on the reset without a scan tool as well as the DTC definitions.

Jim Squiccimara

Dorman Products

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”