more questions about tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

asgard

more questions about tires

Postby asgard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:09 pm

I have read over most of the treads on tires and although very informative they are somewhat confusing.
I am not an off roader although I live in rural eastern Ontario. I do a lot of highway driving but have to contend with deep snow on rural routes.
I have the same tires that came from the factory, BF Goodridge Long Trail TA, they have 85000km , still have a reasonable amount of tread but are showing signs of cracking and some tread pick up.
I am looking for an all round tire and have been happy with my OEM, but have read there are now better available. Looking at Michelin LTX M/S andLTX AT also BFG Rugged terrain.
I don't want something that is noisy on the highway, poor on fuel and just over spec for my needs.
I am currently in Florida and would like to fitted for the drive back north in Jan.
Any help that you can offer would be welcomed. Possible purchase through Costco.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:43 pm

I think the three tires you listed would meet your needs for all season tires that are not too aggressive but are real capable of snow packed roads. I would add one more tire to think of and that's the Goodyear Wrangler adventure. I use to have the duratracs and I loved them and used them for over 50K miles but since the wife is the primary driver of my pathfinder I went with the adventures as a replacement. They are quiet and still a great tread design to get me through the winter roads here in Utah. They are the replacement tires to the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors which I had on a 99 Grand Cherokee and loved them.

asgard

Postby asgard » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:08 am

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I have had mixed thoughts on the Goodyears although the reviews are good on the ones with Kevlar.

Do you think that the LTX M/S are a good enough tread pattern for snow roads, I must admit the AT seems overkill for a mostly highway driver, but I am open to any comments and thoughts.

Always had good results from Michelin, but aas I said teh BFG -OEM have been good as well.

Anyone in teh snow belt able to comment on teh LTX M/S

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:55 am

I have to make a similar compromise and have run LTX MS2's now for about 100k miles (on second set). I drive 20k+ miles a year mainly on highways/state routes, but I also drive a lot of gravel/rough roads and some off-road on mining/construction sites. I'm also in Ohio and see snow regularly in the winter but not usually anything really deep. These handle up to 6" fairly well and water/slush performance is excellent until they get worn down into the 6/32nds range. Ice performance is so-so but most AT's are no better (or worse). I don't think I'd want to try to rely on these tires to dig through more snow than that on a regular basis. Of course Ontario snow is usually a lot drier than the heavy wet crap we deal with here so you might be fine if your snow is of the fluffy variety.

I should probably run an AT tire for the gravel/off-roading but I've managed. I'm not doing it for recreation so there are usually ways to work around a really muddy area or someone close by to pull me out (never needed). But I drive with a heavy-pedal on a lot of curvy state routes so handling is very important to me as well. I will go with the same tire when these are worn.

Also note that the LTX M/S and M/S2 are a slightly different tire. The M/S2 is the newer version and namely has better siping.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:21 am

so far very impressed with the Cooper Discoverer ATWs. Quietest tires I've ever had on this truck, and have been great on heavy snow as well as ice.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:40 pm

disallow wrote:so far very impressed with the Cooper Discoverer ATWs. Quietest tires I've ever had on this truck, and have been great on heavy snow as well as ice.
I have a friend that has the Cooper Disco ATWs on his Jeep and we went out to play during the last snowstorm we had and I was quite impressed. I have also ridden in his truck in the dry and rain and yes they are quiet and have fantastic grip in all conditions. Cooper really did there homework on this tire.

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:01 am

I'm upgrading to the LE 18" wheels and decided to go with the Discoverer AT3's. They get pretty shining endorsements from many of the offroading magazines and non-commercialized sites (expedition portal)

They get pretty favorable reviews for everything but ice traction (does that exist) and deep snow traction. Considering price, a consistant above 60k mileage reviews, I bought in. Once I get everything mounted up, aligned and sorted out I'll probably post on the forums with an updatable review

sevillanoj

Can i use a BF Goodrich AT 315-70-17 in my Pathfinder 2006?

Postby sevillanoj » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:31 am

I want to change my tire to a new one AT series.

The size 315/70/17 fit on my car?

thanks for your opinions.

regards,

jose.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:22 am

Not without a substantial lift and trimming, not to mention aftermarket wheels at least 8.5” wide.

Bandy1080

Postby Bandy1080 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:13 pm

Get the Continental LX20 crosscontact and never look back. They are amazing and a steal at around $150 each.

nismofan

Postby nismofan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 am

If you want a little more aggressive set of tires that can perform well in the snow, the Duratracs are worth considering.

not on the rug

tires

Postby not on the rug » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:28 am

i'd go with the coopers (AT3 or ATW) or the toyo open country at2. probably 2 of the best at tires on the market and they both do it all and do it all very well.

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-r ... -the-road/

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:18 am

Got my Cooper Disco ATws for $800 out the door here in Canada. Tires are expensive here, you should be able to do better down south.

Canadian tire has the exclusive rights to this tire here.

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Lots of good insight and a variety of tires.
The search goes on .
Thanks all who have posted

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 am

I, too, am due for some new tires over the stock ones that came with my 2012 Pathfinder and have done a lot of research. I haven't pulled the trigger, yet, as I'm trying to get the most life I can out of the adequate but slightly lacking stockers. After all the reviews, I was pretty sure I was going to go with the Firestone Destination A/T's giving the type of driving I do - mostly highway with minor off-roading. A month or two ago my wife purchased a 2014 Trailhawk that came with these tires and although most of her driving is highway, she is a Realtor and finds herself having to drive across pastures and in other off-road situations when showing people around country places. These tires have been great on-road, off-road and in rain and have minimal road noise and she has done nothing but sing the praises of the traction she has been getting. They are very "grippy". Being in Texas, I can't comment on snow but from the experience we have had with them, I'm sure they will be my next set of tires on the Pathfinder. I can get a set for sub $700 locally.
I have 35" Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo 2's on my F150 and can't wait to get those things off. I'm just trying to get some life out of them to justify the cost but I find they are not the best in rain plus they get flat spots when the temp drops. Bridgestone was of no help when I called them about it. I wouldn't recommend them. The flat spot problem is starting to alleviate itself but only after I have put about 10k miles on them.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”