Squeaking/chirping noise from front D/S when going >30km/

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

coryhynes

Squeaking/chirping noise from front D/S when going >30km/

Postby coryhynes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 pm

HI,
I noticed that lately I have been hearing a chirping/squeaking noise from the front D/S of my 2006 Pathy. It has been really cold here in Ontario and not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also, I know my rotors might be a little warped as the brake pulses when pressed. Would that be a cause of the noise? or maybe a belt issue somewhere?

thanks,
Cory

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:26 pm

It's a difficult question to answer without being able to hear the noise for oneself. Obviously, brakes can make noise, either due to the wear tabs starting to hit the rotors or due to what's often referred to as a "dust squeek." The serpentine belt tensioner has been known to squeek on these Pathfinders; there was a TSB on the issue instructing to replace the tensioner and belt with updated parts, sometimes referred to as an "enhancement kit." Suspension parts can squeek, from struts to control arm bushings to ball joints. Another issue on these Pathfinders (and some other Nissan models) is a squeek that occurs at the hood latch. It's a high pitched squeek that sounds similar to a suspension squeek and often occurs on moderately bumply roads. The fix is to take a 6" strip of electrical tape and wrap it around the loop on the underside of the hood that engages the hood latch mechanism. The last possiblity might be the first thing to try as it's cheap and easy to do.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”