New part number?

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Nothing needs to be re-routed if you are replacing the radiator, only if you are doing a bypass. As far as what exactly fails, there is a metal cooler tube for ATF that exists inside the bottom tank of the radiator. The inlet and outlet of this tube is where the AT cooler hoses attach to. Some of the cooler tubes have developed cracks and this is where the cross-contamination occurs betweent the ATF in the cooler tube and the surrounding engine coolant. As far as other parts to go with the radiator, if you purchase an aftermarket radiator, there are two foam seals that attach to the radiator and two that attach to the side brackets. I'm not sure if they come with the genuine Nissan radiator or not. I replaced these four foam seals when I replaced my radiator. Their intent is to better seal and direct air through the radiator core and they aren't expensive. You won't notice any difference whether you replaced the seals or not, but it does make for a more professional install and the original ones will be pretty beat up.

hjwd1

Postby hjwd1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:01 pm

hey all, i just recently picked up a 2010 se and was curious about the rad/tranny issue. I seem to have part # [OEM Part Information 21460-ZL11A] is this included in the known issue, seems like no, but just wanted to check. Thanks,

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:56 am

It's not the same # as the ones that have failed. So far, we haven't heard of any failures after the 2008 MY.

mforce

Postby mforce » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm

We have just purchased ours as well. I have found out from the carfax which dealer did most of the service on ours. I called the dealer and received very good information. Ours had a new transmission, radiator and cooler installed in 09. The previous owners have put around 14,000 miles since the install. Our part number is 21460-ZL11A. This is a good number right? I don't really want to replace the radiator since this one is so new.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:03 pm

To be honest...we don't know. We don't have a list of what are "good" or "potentially bad" radiators based on part #. We do know the large majority of failed radiators had the -EA215 or -EA265 part numbers on them and were from the 05-07 models. However, Nissan has included 05-10 models under the extended warranty and there has been one report of a failed 2010 model R51 radiator which has failed. Being replaced in 2009, there is no guarantee.

IntenseKarst

Postby IntenseKarst » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello:

I am contemplating doing the by-pass on my recently purchased (new to me) 2008 Pathfinder V8. The only thing that its preventing me from doing it is that it may already have a "revised" rad model. The part number of the rad that came installed with mine is 21460-9CA2E which appears to be the successor to the problematic original rads in the 05-06 range (21460-EA215 and 21460-EA265; thanks to user smj999smj for posting that info). So, if the revised rad model was fixed of their manufacturing defect, then maybe I am in the clear and do not need to do the by-pass?

The fact that Nissan was forced to extend its warranty up to the 2010 models makes me wonder if even these "revised" rad (9CA2E) are also problematic.

IK

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Yeah, depending on how early the trans was replaced, who knows? That's one of the reasons I'm glad I installed an aftermarket radiator; it was a lot less expensive and they aren't made by the same company (Calsonic) that made the faulty radiators. I've yet to hear of any aftermarket replacements having the issue (knock on wood).

HighSpeed

Postby HighSpeed » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Thank you so much I just but a 2005 Pathfinder SE OffRoad the other day with 74,000 miles on it. I started seeing these posts online and so I also bought an extended warranty for it through USAA car buying services. I was driving around afraid that this would happen to me. So I read this post and looked at my radiator and saw 21460 9CA2E stamped on it and was relieved. If I am reading this right it would appear that a previous owner had the radiator changed out and this radiator is a safe model correct? :wink:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:53 am

HighSpeed wrote:Thank you so much I just but a 2005 Pathfinder SE OffRoad the other day with 74,000 miles on it. I started seeing these posts online and so I also bought an extended warranty for it through USAA car buying services. I was driving around afraid that this would happen to me. So I read this post and looked at my radiator and saw 21460 9CA2E stamped on it and was relieved. If I am reading this right it would appear that a previous owner had the radiator changed out and this radiator is a safe model correct? :wink:
Well...yes and maybe. The original radiator would have been a 21460-EA215 or -EA265, so it was replaced. The bad news is that there have been reported failures with some of the -9CA2E radiators, so it would appear that the problem with the cooler was corrected under the -9CA2E part number, but we don't know when nor how to tell the difference between the older and new design radiators under the -9CA2E part number. The range of the problem-prone radiators ended with the 2011 models, so if the radiator was replaced after 2010, I would feel pretty confident that you have the updated radiator, but that's not a guarantee. You might be able to get a Carfax report or have Nissan check the service records of the vehicle to find out when it was replaced.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”