Dealer install of new rad?

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

docglenn

Dealer install of new rad?

Postby docglenn » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:35 pm

My '08 Pathfinder is at 79k miles. Far as I know, I have not yet experienced the rad failure problem. I am making plans to replace the original radiator. Should I have the Nissan dealer install the new radiator, or will any competent local repair shop do?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 pm

depends how much you want to spend. Dealer will probably be about double the cost, bet it sets you back better than $1200 all in.

An aftermarket rad at a decent shop should be around $600-800.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:52 pm

If you know of a reputable independent shop, I would go that route. You could supply the parts, which would lessen the cost.

HighSpeed

Postby HighSpeed » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:00 pm

I have the 21460 9CA2E radiator in my 05. Now I see you said some have failed on that number as well. You installed an aftermarket on your Pathfinder what company and model did you go with? Also did it fit well and does it look good? Any pics?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 am

I replaced my radiator about three years ago with a $92 aftermarket radiator I picked up on Ebay and new foam seals which I purchased from Nissan. The Ebay seller was Parts Express and it was made in China, as most aftermarket radiators are. The fit was perfect and appeared to be well made and the only thing I noticed that was different was the thread pitch of the drain petcock, but they supplied a new petcock with it so it really wasn't an issue. The original was a 2-1/4" single core. Aftermarket radiators come in the single core design or with a 2-1/8" double core, which I went with. I don't think there's much of a difference in cooling ability between the two designs, so it's a matter of preference. Now you can get Ebay radiators for as low as $72. Many opt for the Canadian "Spectra Premium" radiators, which also appear to be made in China. The seem to sell in the $130 range, +/-. Stillen has been advertising all-aluminum radiators for $350 that were supposed to be available in December, but last I checked they were only taking pre-orders. I'm happy with what I purchased, but if I were replacing it today, I would go with the Stillen unit.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”