recurring battery terminal corrosion

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

edward

recurring battery terminal corrosion

Postby edward » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:56 pm

My 2013 path suddenly has blue, powdery corrosion on the pos battery post.ive cleaned it once 3 weeks ago, now its back again.the battery doesnt seem to be leaking.i do make alot of short trip drives.im under warranty and will be dropping the car off next week for other unresolved issues.id just like a lil insight to what could be causing this before they tell me not to worry about it.thanks.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 pm

isn't there a spray you can buy to help prevent this? I had the same thing going on a few weeks ago. I cleaned them up and bought the spray at Autozone. I suppose I should check and see how they look

FirstIn

Postby FirstIn » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:37 am

Gases from the battery leak can leak out around the terminal and causes the build up. You can buy felt rings that go around the terminal at any auto shop for less then 5 dollars that "soak" up the gases. Or you can upgrade to an AGM battery (Optima, Odessy, ect.) those wont leak gases so you wont get the corrosion.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:14 am

Wash it with hot water and baking soda and try thoroughly. Coat the battery terminals and cable ends with grease or battery protector which you can pick up at any auto parts store or department store. Looks like this:

http://www.carolinaboatoutfitters.com/c ... 573b9cfd02

If you want to go the extra step, install anti-corrosion rings before you spray them down. Look like this:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/ancor-mar ... &network=g[/img]

edward

Postby edward » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:59 am

Thanks! After i get a new cable post, ill clean things up better and prob try the rings on there.

ZeitGeist

Battery Terminal corrosion

Postby ZeitGeist » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:34 pm

Start with clean terminals as mentioned....Then use Red Grease (used by truckers on the "fifth wheel" for trailer hook up as it contains copper and prevents corrosion like anti-seize. Or just brush with copper based anti-seize.

edward

batt posts

Postby edward » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks for the tip!I haven't had this problem for years since ive graduated to newer cars.seems strange to me that a 2yr old car would start givin me trouble with things like this.it is the first Nissan ive ever had tho.hmm.

Return to “General Automotive”