Catalytic Converter Replacement

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Letspath

Catalytic Converter Replacement

Postby Letspath » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:38 pm

I Went to the stealership and was told my 2006 LE pathy needed a catalytic converter. I didn’t get another one yet because I heard Nissans makes crappy cats and they wanted $1,200 for a new one. I’m going to get a second opinion and if I really need a new cat, is there a better aftermarket cat for my Pathy? :?:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Not really, but there are other options depending on where you live. If you live in a state like California or New York state where they use California testing, you won't have any other choice than to use a genuine Nissan part as I don't know of any aftermarket units that are CARB certified. If your state doesn't follow California emissions requirements, then try Rockauto.com. They have several options; I would recommend a Bosal or Walker direct-fit converter. FYI, they aren't fun to change...

Letspath

RE: Catalytic Converter Replacement

Postby Letspath » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks for your help. I live in New York and from what I read there are some restrictions on Catalytic converter so I have more options than California. Why do you like Walker & Bosal cats? Is the Magnaflow
(49215 OEM Grade (49-State) Direct Fit Catalytic Converter - 49-State Legal - no CA shipments, Direct Fit) any good if I can’t use the two you suggested?

See link http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/N ... river+Side

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:01 am

I like Walker and Bosal due to past experience with them as an auto technician and I've never heard any issues with either of them with catalyst efficiency codes after installation, which is an issue with some lower end catalytic converters. Walker is one of the biggest exhaust manufacturers and have been around for many years; my only knock against them is some fitment issues on some vehicles (Chevy S-10's and Blazers come to mind).
As far as Magnaflow, I have not used their catalytic converters personally, but I do remember years ago hearing about issues of P0420/P0430 codes still setting after the installation of Magnaflow converters. I do not know if this is still the case, however.

GK1707

Postby GK1707 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Bumping this thread. Anyone who's running a catless exhaust, how are you guys getting around the check engine light? Do the spark plug non foulers work to fool the o2 sensors like they do on other model Nissans?

I wanna run a catless exhaust but with a CEL here in NY I'd fail annual inspection. As far as inspection goes the emission part is only OBD here in NYC, so no CEL light = Pass. Theres no smog testing. So I'd like to find a way to run no cats and have no CEL so I can pass inspection.

Return to “R51 General Chat”