Pathy intermittently will not fire up

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Sayantsi

Pathy intermittently will not fire up

Postby Sayantsi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:07 am

So this just started happening randomly to the Pathfinder. You go to start the truck, the key turns, but the engine / starter never engage, and all lights on the dash flicker quickly instead.

Sometimes I turn the key and the dash lights flicker quickly, like they are being reset. If I turn the key to off, then try again, the truck will crank readily, but won't fire.

Battery tested good. The starter motor cranks strong and fast, just no combustion. No codes either.

I figure a solenoid or relay? From what research I've done, I've seen this happen on older Pathfinders, but didn't see any discussion here for the R51 and fixes...

All I've found so far is this thread - http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 2a41d48fa3

Any help?

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:15 am

Just as an update, I went to start the truck this morning, and when I turned the key to crank the engine, the dash lights all flickered very quickly. I kept the key in on position, waited 10 seconds, and tried to fire the engine again. It started right up.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:57 am

I would check all the battery connections first. If it still continues have the battery tested or just swap it out if it's more than a couple years old. I've seen that symptom on a lot of vehicles (not specifically the PF) where there's a voltage issue so it won't even try to crank. Those are all cheap/quick fixes at least.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 am

i'm with skinny2 on this...
also, watch that negative cable clamp
most often the cable clamp does not tighten down on the battery post even though the pinch bolt is tight

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:51 pm

My 2012 had a similar issue with the lights and starting then a day later my neibour next door called me and said your marker lights are on on your Pathfinder. I was like WHAT! I know I did not leave them on so sure enough they were on but the switch was off and sure enough the truck would not start. Guy next door gave me a jump and I went right to Advanced Auto and got a new battery problem solved that was several weeks ago and truck is fine now even starting in sub zero weather without a hitch.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:07 am

So it has been almost two weeks, want to update the thread.

Long story short, I tightened down the battery terminals and made sure there was no corrosion on the negative terminal, and no issues since. Best I can tell, the extreme cold shrunk the battery posts just enough for a poor connection.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:14 am

it's often the simple stuff that causes problems
people tend to overthink these things, turning what amounts to a simple maintenance problem into rocket science proportions :wink:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:20 am

You live in the Carolinas? Sorry bud, it doesn't get near cold enough down there to 'shrink' you battery posts.

But, the cable clamps definitely stretch over time. You have a couple options:

1. Replace the Battery Clamp on your positive cable - you can get this from Nissan for pretty cheap and its not a tough fix.

2. Get these: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2 ... -p8064453e

3. Use the farmer fix - open the clamp up all the way. Put on the battery terminal. Shove a nail between the terminal and the clamp, and tighten it. This allows good contact on the terminal, and helps you to be able to tighten the clamp.

I'm using #3 right now, until it warms up. Its -26C out right now. That's cold.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:26 am

disallow wrote:You live in the Carolinas? Sorry bud, it doesn't get near cold enough down there to 'shrink' you battery posts.

But, the cable clamps definitely stretch over time. You have a couple options:

1. Replace the Battery Clamp on your positive cable - you can get this from Nissan for pretty cheap and its not a tough fix.

2. Get these: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2 ... -p8064453e

3. Use the farmer fix - open the clamp up all the way. Put on the battery terminal. Shove a nail between the terminal and the clamp, and tighten it. This allows good contact on the terminal, and helps you to be able to tighten the clamp.

I'm using #3 right now, until it warms up. Its -26C out right now. That's cold.
a small strip of feeler guage works very well also

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 am

disallow wrote:You live in the Carolinas? Sorry bud, it doesn't get near cold enough down there to 'shrink' you battery posts.
Keep in mind, between a nightly ambient temp of 0° and underhood operating temps in the summer of over 100°, the posts will expand and contract, which can effect the tightness of the cables on the posts. Its not just ambient temps you need to think about.

At any rate, tightening the post did the trick.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:40 am

Sayantsi wrote:
Keep in mind, between a nightly ambient temp of 0° and underhood operating temps in the summer of over 100°, the posts will expand and contract, which can effect the tightness of the cables on the posts. Its not just ambient temps you need to think about.

At any rate, tightening the post did the trick.
"rocket science proportions"

Return to “R51 Electrical”