TPMS malfunction- NOT sensors

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

BigDuke6

TPMS malfunction- NOT sensors

Postby BigDuke6 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:19 pm

TPMS light flashes then goes solid.

Took to dealer, they scanned the sensors and reported one of the sensors has a weak battery.

I put tape on the light because I was going to buy new rims and tires in the future and would replace all the sensors.

Anyway, I got the new wheels and sensors. The rim shop woke the sensors and programed it and said all was fine. I drove about 15 minutes and the light flashed an came on.

I decided to take it back, they scanned it and reported the sensors were not programmed so they reprogrammed them.

15 minutes down the road, the light came back on.

I decided to take it to the dealer, they scanned it and reported the sensors needed to be programed, they programmed it.

15 minutes down the road, the light flashed and come back on.

I did some reading and saw that the computer checks the sensors every 15 minutes.

So I am deducing that after the re-programming something happens that either blocks the signals, another set of TPMS sensors are bad (crazy odds of that) or something is wrong in the computer that is clearing the programming.

Anyone ever had the same problem?

I know its not the sensors so its got to be something else but I have never seen anything other than faulty sensors that cause a malfunction.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:18 pm

What kind of sensors did you get and where did you get them from? I got a set of Shrader sensors from Ebay, once. They were "new," but apparently "new old stock." They were dated from six years back and the batteries were no good. I would check the BCM for codes to see what code is triggering. This is best done with a scantool, but you can do it, yourself, using the TPMS diagnostic plug located with the OBD II diagnostic connector. It'll be a white, 2-pin connector with a single wire. I use a test lead and a paper clip. Turn the key on and ground the wire 5 times in 10 seconds. The TPMS warning light will flash a two digit code. Long flashes are "tens" and short flashes are "ones." You can also use the TPMS diagnostic connector to register the TPMS sensors. Adjust the tire pressure in the tires as follows: 36 psi-left front, 33 psi-right front, 30 psi-right rear, 27 psi-left rear. Ground the wire in the TPMS connector and turn the key on; the TPMS warning light will flash steady. Drive the vehicle over 25 mph for 5 minutes and when the TPMS sensors are registered, the TPMS light will stop flashing and stay on. Turn the vehicle off. Disconnect the wire from ground. Note, if one of the TPMS sensors is bad, the process may not complete.

BigDuke6

Postby BigDuke6 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:10 pm

sensors are OEM.

Tried the manual reset. i even bought a grounding trigger from Ebay that connects to the TPMS input and ground.

The only thing that happened while driving was after some time I heard a long "beeeeeeeeeep" and the light remained solid.

Turned it off, turned it on, it flashed and went solid and been doing it ever since. its been over a year now with the new tires.

Dealer wants 100 an hour to figure out the problem then whatever it needs to fix it plus labor.

I put tape on the dash because I am not paying hundreds of dollars to fix it.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem. If I could go to the dealer with the problem to bypass the diagnostic, I may be interested in a price to fix it.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Sensors are OEM, but are they the correct part number? I recently had one replaced (OEM) at my dealer and wound up with the TPMS light a few minutes after I left. When I returned to the dealer a few days later, they pulled everything apart and discovered the tech had put in the wrong sensor.

BigDuke6

Postby BigDuke6 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:36 am

2 sets of tires and sensors = exact problem.

I don't believe its a sensor problem. Something in the receiver is not working. I have no idea where the receiver it, if it can be replaced,etc...

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”