My side project and POR 15

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

My side project and POR 15

Postby blink32 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Figured I would post up a few pic's of my side project I finally got around to working on. 1976 Chevrolet Silverado K10 being upgraded to a K20. Primary goal is to make it fully mechanically sound (it wasn't beat to begin with but it was old) with a secondary goal of body stuff. Cleaned off the rear half of it, steamed it, sand blasted it, de-greased it, etched it and finally sealed it today with two coats of Por15. There was no rust issues other than standard surface rust but I wanted to sand blast and Por15 it anyways.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:46 pm

So you finally got a chance to work on it. Now the frame of the truck will last forever and look good doing it. I guess the wife was expecting something to be done to the trucks sitting in the yard. I just wish I had time to play. With a 3yo and one on the way, spare time is all but gone.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:15 am

Finally is right. The rear should be back together this weekend then I get to start tearing apart the front to do the same thing. Surprisingly the wife is pretty ok with it. Mostly because I keep them out of her way and in the winter she gets the garage, etc etc. Plus if you ever saw my neighborhood you would see that 2 doors down looks like a run down junkyard (and has for the 4 years I've lived here) and my immediate neighbor just has a lot of "stuff". I get to slide a bit. :)

Good luck with the full house!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:36 am

Some recent pics. If anyone decides to use POR heed the warning that the product needs a top coat!!! Because of my specific application I didn't really care but the appearance does break down quit quickly in my opinion. I will top coat when I am all done but it was less than 2 weeks in the sun and it already had a chalky/dull appearance. I can find no physical break down of the coating though and the Manu's claim UV does not affect the protectiveness of the product.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:56 pm

So Blink are you going to rebuild the engine or replace it with something bigger? Since you are doing the restore the right way with the body off the frame. Hope the weather holds out for you to finish the big stuff outside. I think I remember you saying the wife got the garage when you cleaned it out.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:05 am

This year all the engine is getting is re-sealed with fresh gaskets and what not. It's a healthy crate 350, probably with the base 130 or 160 hp, that runs fine for my current applications. I do plan on making it into a 383 next year though. But as you remembered, I need to get as much stuff out of the garage by the time the real cold gets here. I am shooting to have it pretty much back together by the end of the month. The way the weather is holding out it would seem like I have a pretty good chance. That heat wave was wild the other day wasn't it?
Tony

Return to “General Automotive”