Will a brake controller work when towing a trailer?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

coryhynes

Will a brake controller work when towing a trailer?

Postby coryhynes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi there,
Today my brother in law gave me a brake controller that he no longer uses for is trailer. I was wondering if anyone knows if it will work on my car. I have a 06 Pathy SE 4x4. He mentioned something about the factory wiring plug. My pathy has the factory 4 pin plug but I attached a 7 pin adaptor to match my travel trailer.
Any help will be appreciated.

thanks,
Cory

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Most brake controllers will work an any vehicle. I don't know what kind of conversion you have installed. Normally, one would get the Nissan 7-pin conversion kit and install it in the rear, which plugs into the factory harness (so it works through the BCM) and it comes with a 7 flat pin connector and bracket that bolts to the factory hitch. Under the driver's side of the dash, to the left of the steering column, is a plug to be used with the controller. You can get a subharness from Nissan that plugs into it and then you would hard wire it to your controller's harness; some controller manufacturers also make a subharness that is plug-and-play between the controller and the Nissan plug. Of course, then the controller would be mounted. Last, one would need to install a trailer relay into the relay box on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It's a brown relay that Nissan sells for around $28.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:22 am

This thread has lots of great info regarding brake controllers, the 7-pin trailer connector, and air bags.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=65

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”