which cross bars for Yakima MegaWarrior or Thule MOAB

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:30 am

No I don't leave it on full time. It's just my own personal preference. But I have friends and see other vehicles around my area that do have them on full time. Especially in Hoboken, where most people don't have a garage and park their cars on the street. I see their cargo box on all year round.

I'm not sure if that affects the longevity of the material.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:55 am

awesome, thanks for the reply Marc!!

got the bars on last night, man getting those lil plastic things out was a PITA, til I realized that the hex key fit in and works well. now just cruisin around looking for a good deal on a skybox!

I suppose I can always store the box hanging from the ceiling in the basement til I get a garage (years lol). who am I kidding though, I am sure it will end up staying on top of the Pathy, for a long while anyway...

so for any who are interested (or for my own organization), I have finally calmed down on the upgrade frenzy I was considering. realizing I don't have like 5k to drop on this thing (nor will I in the forseeable future lol), I think my current setup is good enough for now! had to bring it to the dealership to have the brake rotors turned, and then again for a vibration that the dealership claimed was the u-joint on the driveshaft. lifetime powertrain warranty with a CPO so no charge (brand new, wouldn't have paid anyway) so that's good, the vibration seems to mostly have stopped. I can't tell if I am just hypercritical/OCD or if it's just that it's an SUV on a truck frame, but it seems that I feel every single little bump, to the point that it almost feels like a vibration, but it IS better than it was before they replaced the u-joint, so I dono...so the only outstanding things mechanically are the gurgle or pouring sound I hear in the dash sometimes when accelerating (air in the coolant system, needs to be burped, had the cold air blowing on startup only once so far) and the hood needing adjustment to stop movement at 80+ mph. All in all a much better position than I was in with the vehicle this Pathy replaced, so I am happy. 'Upgrades' are as follows:

-took the one-size-fits-all weather mats out of the old vehicle and scored a non-exact-fit-behind-second-row-seating weathertech protector, free

-got an adjustable steel pet barrier

-replaced the cabin lights with LEDs (2 sixers in the front and 48 SMD panels in second row and rear-hatch)

-OE style cross bars

So that leaves me wanting (in approx. this order):

-new head unit (Alpine IVE-W530)

-Skybox

-tires

-susp. lift, airbags, etc.

any other recommended upgrades? will update when I get the box (or next new toy)!

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:16 am

haha forgot about this thread...

the amazon cross bars have been holding up, the bolts are kind of rusting out the middle (where the hex key goes) but not terribly. about to use them for real for the first time this weekend, putting the canoe up there!

I did buy a roof basket - however it has already been returned. I picked up what is essentially the basket you can get on amazon made by Curt - although got it from Cabela's in the bargain cave. Been lucking out in these massive outdoorsman box stores, the employee said that the rack was missing some parts for the bracket, so I figured no big deal I can pick up what I need from HD or Lowe's, so I bought it and the extension and put it all together, no missing pieces! I was pretty pumped! Looked pretty awesome. The Cabela's version had a metal wind deflector so it definitely was slightly upgraded from the amazon version. Anyway, went camping once and realized that a roof basket isn't really the way I want to go. Not that one anyway, the brackets that attach to the rails do stick up into the basket impeding use a little, and its a PITA to get up to the roof for gear etc. while camping. Didn't even end up using the rack on the one trip it went on. SO when the thing started rusting out after 2 weeks I said forget it and returned it. IDK if I will end up trying the Yak, I did see one on Craig's List a while back, wonder if that one is still around...hmm...

In any case, I think I have decided to try one of the receiver mounted cargo carriers. Would love one that swings out but there only seems to be one manufacturer of those type, and they get decent reviews but are like $700 for the package I want. Yeah RIGHT! There is a fixed version on the big A for like $125 and it's prime eligible so free 2 day shipping...will likely try that out instead. Easier to use, and I think I can still open the hatch with it on, and if I can that will be the way to go. For now.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”