Traded the Pathfinder in for a Durango

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Sayantsi

Traded the Pathfinder in for a Durango

Postby Sayantsi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Just a word of thanks to everyone here, lots of great info, but after ~4 years with the Pathfinder, I traded it in for something newer, a 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel.

My 06 LE was a great truck, I was sad to let it go, but it is amazing how many convenience features are in the new generation vehicles. I considered getting a 2011 LE, but the Pathfinder really is a previous generation. Never really fell in love with the R52 Pathy either - not much for the softer shape, CVT, some other stuff.

So far the Durango has been great; we'll see how it holds up for the next ~5 years.
Last edited by Sayantsi on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Sad to see you leave but everybody will change sooner or later.

aadadams

Re: Traded the Pathfinder in for a Durango

Postby aadadams » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Sayantsi wrote:Just a word of thanks to everyone here, lots of great info, but after ~5 years with the Pathfinder, I traded it in for something newer, a 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel.

My 06 LE was a great truck, I was sad to let it go, but it is amazing how many convenience features are in the new generation vehicles. I considered getting a 2011 LE, but the Pathfinder really is a previous generation. Never really fell in love with the R52 Pathy either - not much for the softer shape, CVT, some other stuff.

So far the Durango has been great; we'll see how it holds up for the next ~5 years.
Been contemplating the same transition... Pentastar or Hemi?

Sayantsi

Re: Traded the Pathfinder in for a Durango

Postby Sayantsi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:34 am

aadadams wrote:
Sayantsi wrote:Just a word of thanks to everyone here, lots of great info, but after ~5 years with the Pathfinder, I traded it in for something newer, a 2012 Dodge Durango Citadel.

Been contemplating the same transition... Pentastar or Hemi?
I was open to either, but ended up with a great deal on a V6. 290 hp, similar weight, so its just like the Pathfinder in some regards, but a bit less punchy. It has the factory hitch receiver and can tow 6k, but not the tow package. I don't need to tow more than 3k, so it was not an issue, but a V8 with tow package can tow 7k.

I did lot of research on reliability, and the Dodge beats the new Pathy in pretty much all regards. There are a few things to be aware of when buying, but nothing major.

I got a Citadel, but the general consensus is that an R/T is the best bang for your buck - V8, most of the Citadel features, but no factory roof rack, and a few other minor things.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:42 am

Could you elaborate on "punchy", as I'm not sure what that means in relation... As I haven't turned up any issues of which to be aware, could you expound on what you found? Thanks for sharing!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:44 am

Durango is a solid choice and good bargain used. We considered it when the wife was shopping but settled on an MDX. The prices when new were almost identical between a loaded RT and the MDX and that's just kooky. Comparing used prices now, the MDX is $5k more on trade-in so that would have been a painful ride down the depreciation highway. I agree it's definitely better than the new Pathfinders.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 am

aadadams wrote:Could you elaborate on "punchy", as I'm not sure what that means in relation... As I haven't turned up any issues of which to be aware, could you expound on what you found? Thanks for sharing!
Compared to our gen Pathfinders, the 5-speed auto Durangos have slower 0-60 times for the V6 and about the same for the Hemi. Starting in '14, the 8-speed jumps the V6 into similar performance range as the Pathfinder and the Hemi is about a second faster.

Durango is bigger and quite a bit heavier than the Pathfinder.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 am

aadadams wrote:Could you elaborate on "punchy", as I'm not sure what that means in relation... As I haven't turned up any issues of which to be aware, could you expound on what you found? Thanks for sharing!
Sure. By punchy I mean the torque off the line - I think the Pathfinder is geared a bit more aggressively (in 1st at least). The Durango is definitely more car-like - it is a unibody afterall - but it is solid. I haven't towed with it yet, but I can imagine it will be adequate for what I need it for. As a daily driver, its great.

So far the issues to be aware of include the fact that the intake is plastic, and on 11s and some 12s they cracked due to being too thin, but that was fixed in 12. Also, there might be a recall coming where the sun visor screws can short electronics in the dash or cause fire in the headliner - if the horn doesn't work, or dash lights don't work, this might be the cause. Also, there was a TIPM recall, like with the Pathys, as the truck would shut off and exhibit some other strange behavior.

Sayantsi

Postby Sayantsi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:00 am

skinny2 wrote:
Compared to our gen Pathfinders, the 5-speed auto Durangos have slower 0-60 times for the V6 and about the same for the Hemi. Starting in '14, the 8-speed jumps the V6 into similar performance range as the Pathfinder and the Hemi is about a second faster.

Durango is bigger and quite a bit heavier than the Pathfinder.
Yes, reviewers complain that the 5-speed is lacking and that the 8 speed is better, but I was looking at used in a certain price range, so 5 spd is what my option was, or CVT in the new Pathy or some others. The Durango is however rwd biased, which I prefer to drive.

Weight wise, the Durango and my LE are about the same, but the gearing makes them drive differently. I can say that the third row is much bigger - I can sit comfortably back there - and Durangos come with a cargo cover, something I sorely missed in the Pathfinder.

Return to “General Automotive”