What brake pads do you prefer?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

porksoda

What brake pads do you prefer?

Postby porksoda » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:01 pm

I am just wondering what brand of brake pads everyone prefers for there Nissan?

I am currently in the market to do the brakes on our Pathfinder and I am unsure on what I should get.

Prior to the Pathfinder I would always either go with the the following kinds of pads:
Wagner ThermoQuiet
or
Store Brand Gold Series Ceramic (Advance Auto Wearever Gold Ceramic)

Thanks for any of your information :idea:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:44 pm

Everyone has their opinion, of course. Mine is Akebono PRO ACT ceramic pads which I get from Rockauto.com. While the original pads from the factory are Hitachi ceramics, Akebono has been an OEM supplier of brakes to Nissan for decades, so they fit perfect and they come with new shims and anti-rattle clips. I also like Raybestos Professional Series Advanced Technology pads. For rotors, I've used Wagners and Raybestos Professional Series Advanced Technology; both have performed fine.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:42 pm

I second smj, the akebono pro act brakes are fantastic. I just replaced front and rear brake rotors and pads a few months back. The factory's were in good shape but I was just doing a complete preventative maintenance overhaul. The brakes perform much better then stocks. Be sure to bleed out the system for new fluid if it hadn't been done in the last few years.

I used akebono PROAct ceramic pads and the centric premium rotors. Very nice quality all around and would recommend 100%.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:30 pm

I ended up purchasing WearEver Gold Ceramics from Advance Auto Parts. Main reason I chose them is the lifetime warranty and price point($46). I was surprise to see the fronts are manufactured in Mexico and rears were manufactured in USA. I am glad they weren't made in China or Taiwan.

Rear:

Front:

Both front and rear:

With flash:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:40 pm

The Wearever Golds are what I refer to as a "economy ceramic pad." I've had good and bad experiences with them. As far as their braking ability, they are good, but on some sets I've had squeaking occur after only a few months. I've had better success with their Platinum Ceramics. Also, the "lifetime warranty" is only for materials and workmanship; if they have low linings due to normal wear and tear, they are not covered under warranty.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:48 pm

I purchased the Golds the other day but I decided to return them to get the Wearever Platinum Ceramic pads. I did a bit of research and for the $6 more each set I might as well spend the extra $12 total for the better pads. Here are some pictures of them that I took.
I am gonna try to install them in a few days if the weather gets any better.
Thanks for looking!

Front:

Front & Rear:

With Flash:

nismofan

Postby nismofan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:45 am

How's the brake dust of the Wearever Platinum Ceramic pads?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:46 pm

nismofan wrote:How's the brake dust of the Wearever Platinum Ceramic pads?
I've installed them on a Buick Park Avenue and a Ford Taurus and dust hasn't been an issue. I haven't had them on a Pathfinder, but I wouldn't think it'd be much different.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”