Trailer tow harness

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

darthandy

Trailer tow harness

Postby darthandy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:28 am

Hi all. I've searched the forum but can't find a definite answer to this. I need to install a 7 pin trailer harness on our (New to us) '04 Pathfinder and I was wondering if anyone here has done it. I know there is a 4 pin harness kit available from Nissan but I need the 7 pin to use with a travel trailer. I've gone to several other forums and read about fuse positions available near the battery and extra relays and running wires to the back from the battery but no definitive answer to the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:15 pm

Unfortunately, it's not a year newer, because it would have been a plug-and-play install. First thing, you'll need to get a trailer brake controller. There are a number of models on the market. Two of the most popular are Tecumseh and Hopkins. Then, you'll need the 7-pin connector (there are flat and round pin options), wiring, etc. You can search for installation videos on YouTube and articles on the web. The link below might be of interest to you. It has a Universal Installation Kit that has just about everything you need except the controller, itself. It has a flat-7 and a 4-pin connectors and also has installation instruction video links:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html

darthandy

Thanks ...

Postby darthandy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:26 pm

for the info. I knew that the '05 to '12 Pathys had more of a plug and play set up but an '04 was what I could find. I got a flat 4 pin t-connector set up from Tow Ready and will then get a 7 pin adapter kit. I tried installing the harness tonight but ran into a minor problem - my Pathy has the Bose sound system from the LE so there are several plugs in the way before I can reach the light plugs. They sure don't put any extra length on these harnesses do they? There was also a small white plug down at the floor level that wasn't plugged into anything. I'll have to try to get a wiring diagram to see what that was for. Looks like I have a bit more work to do.

Andy

Return to “General Automotive”