H2 tire carrier **finished**

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Captain Smoke Eater wrote:If you can please give a parts list and instructions I will make this a sticky
I kinda did in the 4th post i think and i wouldn't know where to start. As far as parts i have a Hummer H2 factory tire carrier hinge, swing arm and custom latch. The hardest part is the mounting plate and since i used a random scrap piece that was pre bent like i wanted. Its bolted and welded to the hitch assembly and welded to part of the frame noted in pics on the first page. Then the latch pin drops in to the step area of the bumper where i welded a plate to the hitch assembly then welded a tube vertical through the plastic bumper and welded a washer to it to hold the pin. Then the whole cutting the bumper part... Anything i'm missing?

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:06 pm

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:42 pm

how hard would it be to matt black the door bumper guard trim things (i dunno what they are called)?

anyone got any PS skills?

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:44 am

guinnessjim wrote: anyone got any PS skills?
yes and im bored

enjoy! lemme know if u wanna make it pink with rainbow tyres and light indigo tinted windshield with yellow wipers. slow day at the office, and 4 hours to go!

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 am

mar1 wrote:
guinnessjim wrote: anyone got any PS skills?
yes and im bored

enjoy! lemme know if u wanna make it pink with rainbow tyres and light indigo tinted windshield with yellow wipers. slow day at the office, and 4 hours to go!

for shits and giggles, let's go w/ polka dots...maybe red on yellow? and i like the idea of the rainbow tyres.

but seriously, i do like it w/ that black accent line...

thanks Mar1

Rogue9

Postby Rogue9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:19 am

LOVE what you've done cause I've always been a GM fan. (Their lack of SUV smaller than a Tahoe right now is why I got a PF)

But is it just me or do those pics look like that mod made your tail end drop a lot?
is the back end ride worse with that weight? I'm guessing 250-300 pounds with tire and gas?

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks guinnessjim and mar1 i didn't think of doing it that way!
Rogue9 wrote:LOVE what you've done cause I've always been a GM fan. (Their lack of SUV smaller than a Tahoe right now is why I got a PF)

But is it just me or do those pics look like that mod made your tail end drop a lot?
is the back end ride worse with that weight? I'm guessing 250-300 pounds with tire and gas?
Thanks! Well the rear was slightly lower after the lift and im parked on somewhat of a hill so its not as bad as you would think. I also don't have my front sway bar on and i think it freed up the front to sit slightly higher since i get much more coil bucket contact.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Hey mar1 if you get bored again any chance you could PS that same pic you did with this set up cause all i have is paint and i suck at it! Please and Thank you!
Oh and this was during the prep work of the front bumper..

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:52 am

Along the same lines of the rear being heaver...

I know our rear shocks are kinds spongy back there.
Do you notice any additional bouncing while driving?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue May 12, 2015 10:59 am

I’m not sure if he is around anymore or active on this forum, but I know I noticed a LOT more bouncing around and instability when I had my tire carrier back there. Airbags helped tremendously though. Thought of maybe trying the dual rear shock set-up the Armada has from PRG. Greg seems to think it helps.

http://www.prgproducts.com/media/images ... 1_t366.jpg

He mentioned that set-up is fairly customizeable and basically you just need to find the correct shock length for the rearmost shocks and those tabs can be had from any Jeep store for mounting them. Although I spoke with a member on the Armada site and he mentioned he honestly didn’t notice any difference.

On a positive note, it really does help with traction, the added weight. Didn’t get stuck once back in late December snow wheeling. I went a couple of weeks after that time with no tire carrier nor spare, and wow, I was stuck every 5 minutes it seemed like.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue May 12, 2015 12:29 pm

NmexMAX! Just the guy I wanted to talk to!! 8)

Yeah I went ahead and cut some poly spacers in half and put them on top of the HD Spring back there now to stiffen it up. The bumper should be done this week, but we weight tested it and it seemed to cut down on the bouncing. I'll post back with actual results.
(And I'm glad to hear about the added traction!)

I'm looking to move into 35" tires and I know you had cut up some of the front wheelwell to get them to fit. Besides the front plastic, how much metal was taken off from behind the wheel and did you have to weld a plate in afterwards??

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue May 12, 2015 2:24 pm

No prob, glad to help.

Small welding up front behind the wheel, basically a slit cut, and then weld the 2 remaining pieces together. Also I think if I had done this, I would not have had to do any trimming behind the front wheel.
Basically, if you have adjustable camber bolts, you adjust the camber and caster and leave the toe for the alignment shop.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/ ... ols-28535/

Seems to move the front wheel forward some, and I know mine are nearly completely opposite as far as where they should be (camber bolts). And as for the front plastic, it was just the removal of that plastic thing hanging down, a few clips and it was fine.

I’m not sure if you’re going to be getting aftermarket wheels, but that was a big reason my tires rubbed was because of my wheel offset. I even rubbed pretty gnarly on 33’s but it was because of my wheel offset and my camber bolts being opposite of what they should have been.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue May 12, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks brother...I'll give that a try!
We also have the UCA's that can be adjusted too.

I did do some "hammering" back there after I put the wheel spacers on and got rid of that little bump.

How much metal did you cut off? About 2"?
Just curoius, so if I do need to cut, I don't go crazy and swipe off a foot! :shock:

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed May 13, 2015 6:52 am

Instead of cutting and welding, and pinching, etc, try this: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... ee6448af05

Had I not been un-smart, I woulda have done this from the get go.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed May 13, 2015 7:41 am

Wow...not that it doesn't look good and totally do-able, but to match the back would be a pain. Less is more IMHO for this go round I think.
I'm thinking more of a hacksaw and some JB Weld will do the trick for now.
Besides...our darker colors will hide any cuts better than white would.

Maybe when I go to 37's I'll do that cut and match up some fender flares to it! :lol:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”